Air compressor question

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:51 pm
This is my first post here obviously, but I have been reading about this for a while. I plan on painting my 85 Trans Am this summer(or sooner). I am about to buy a compressor. I was looking at a CH compressor that was at lowes. I noticed that they seem to have a different series of CH compressors than every one else sells? Are they better worse, or the same quality? I am going w/ an oil lubricated compressor. It will most likely be a 60 gallon, but I have looked at maybe getting a 80 if I have the money. The 60 at Lowes is this one. http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=product ... 126-DP4615 The 80 gallon I looked at was http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=35119 It costs 300 more, but has a higher cfm, and is 20 galons larger obviously. This will be used for home use. Painting will only be occasional, but I do plan on doing an entire car.

One other thing. The 60 lists the flow in SCFM, but the 80 is only listed as CFM. Would that still actually be SCFM? I just want to make sure it flows as much as it says.

Thanks guys

Ben

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:54 pm
Oh, and also since I shouldnt have to pay tax on the one from Harbor Freight, and it appears that they don charge shipping on orders over 50 dollars then there would actually only end up being around a 250 difference instead of 300, but I guess that still depends on if I have the extra money or not.

Ben

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:24 pm
I bought the 60 gal. 7 hp one from HD - CH makes it. For not much more than the quadzilla you could get a 2 stage compressor that would REALLY be nice...

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:35 am
How much is not much. I am going to be on the edge of my budget to even get that one. I know 2 stage compressors make more cfm, but what exactly is the definition of 2 stage. Is it a 2 geared compressor or something. If I were to go that route, what would be a good one that doesnt cost much more?

Thanks

Ben

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:50 am
Rule number ONE: Buy the biggest compressor you can afford. That means CFM delivery, not tank size. A large tank just provides a buffer when you are painting. The compressor has to be able to keep up with the gun or you will have to stop before you are done. The basic concept of a 2 stage is 2 cylinders, a big one and a little one. The big one takes in outside air, compresses it some, usually sends it through an inter cooler, and feeds it to the smaller cylinder. The smaller cylinder compresses it more and sends it to the tank. You get higher pressure because the air is actually compressed twice. I have asked a couple of compressor guys why they work so much better and I've never gotten a good explaination but they sure do.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:42 am
I realize that you should buy the biggest you can afford as far as cfm goes. I am pushing what I can afford, even going w/ the second one I was listing. The reason I was looking at those is because of the cfm numbers.

I would still like to know where to find a good 2 stage for not much more.

Thanks

Ben

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:18 am
I found the HS7815 at www.chpower.com It is a 2 stage, but seems to offer minimal cfm gains. It does run more pressure though. Would this allow the pump to run less often before it needed to build up pressure again? I dont know if I can afford it, but I will look into it if it will be of much benifit.

I found a couple compressors on harbor freight that seem to make quite a bit more w/ a 2 stage, but I noticed that the ones that seem to make a lot more have 3 phase motors. What does that mean, and why does that give more cfm? If anyone can recomend a good 2 stage for not much over a 1000 that would be nice, but I dont know that much about what brands are good or where to get the best deals.

Thanks

Ben

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:39 pm
Actually, how is porter cable? I found this 2 stage compressor by them: http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4702 It is at a reasonable price from harbor freight too.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:10 pm
HF has a 80 gal. Puma 2 stage for 999.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5730

They have the CH "Quad" 2 stage 60 gal for 899.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34187

Note: the CH is not the 80 gal "Quadzilla" you mentioned, which is only a single stage. The one I have a link to is two stage.

The big advantage to 2 stage is that there is less heating of the air=less moisture.

I would gladly trade 20, gal. of capacity for a jump to 2 stage.

HF also has a 60 gal. Quincy Quad 2 stage for 899.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3877

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:17 pm
They both look like they would do a pretty good job. I have always viewed CH more as a supplier of "home duty" stuff and Porter Cable as a commercial outfit. I'd lean toward the P-C. One other thing is to check your local want ads. sometimes you luck out and find something for 1/2 what it is worth. I did that when I upgraded but it took a while to find.
3 phase is only found in commercial buildings. It's cheaper and easier to build 3 phase motors so they use them for almost all bigger motors. If you are in a house, you don't want anything to do with it. Its usually not available in residential areas and, if it is, getting it is expensive.
Last edited by Big Jim on Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies