Air compressor, need your advice.

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:09 pm
Hey guys, Ive been trolling the board for a while now and finally had a question. lol. I am going to buy a new air compressor, the one I have now is a tiny 8 gallon 2hp. great for small jobs but I am looking for a 60 gallon tank now. The particular one I am looking at is the Campbell Hausfeld VT6329 IRONFORCE series only sold at Lowes. Would I be able to paint a whole car with this one? Efficiently?

Peak HP 7

Max PSI 135

Gallons 60

SCFM at 40 PSI

SCFM at 90 PSI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:10 am
I haven't painted a car yet but from what I have read your compressor compares to pro compressors...only problem I saw was that it works on 220 not 120...which my home can't sustain :(

but yours probably does...DO verify before going through the trouble of buying it....

-WIN

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:25 pm
If you get a good/efficient HVLP gun you should have no problem.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:29 pm
Brad's right. That capacity is right in the middle of HVLP guns. Some use more, some less. When you shop for a gun, check out the air requirements.
BTW, notice the HP rating says PEAK. That's an advertizing gimmic like stereo peak power out. If you get a real spec sheet or maybe on the unit itself you will find a continuous rating. That's the number that makes sense. For example my 7.5 (continuous) HP 2 stage puts out around 17 or 18 cfm at 90 psi. The one from Lowes should work fine with the right gun.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:50 pm
FWIW, follow this link:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/D ... /index.htm

And look at:

*High Efficiency PLUS Spray Gun
(great for people with less air)
Top of the Line - based on the GTI Millennium - (recommended)
GFG670

I called the DeVilbiss tech line and asked about this gun. This is their new direction, and you can read the advertisement yourself. I just bought the gun, but haven't used it yet. I will in about a week and will post a followup.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:49 am
i also bought the gfg670 for the air concerns, i have sprayed a trunk
with it bc/cc and it seemed to spray ok.
when you get the flow adjusted it seemed to lay out good.
the only gun i have to compare to is an iwata siphon gun so the
gravity feed option is new to me. i would like to hear more
feed back on this one.
my compressor is 6hp 30 gallon sear professional series it seems to
keep up with paint guns, but runs constantly when daing or sand blasting.
buy the biggest one you can. if needed have electrican run you a 220 plug
just my 2 cents

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:15 pm
twidner wrote:i also bought the gfg670 for the air concerns, i have sprayed a trunk
with it bc/cc and it seemed to spray ok.
when you get the flow adjusted it seemed to lay out good.
the only gun i have to compare to is an iwata siphon gun so the
gravity feed option is new to me. i would like to hear more
feed back on this one.
my compressor is 6hp 30 gallon sear professional series it seems to
keep up with paint guns, but runs constantly when daing or sand blasting.
buy the biggest one you can. if needed have electrican run you a 220 plug
just my 2 cents

Thats what I did. I bought a 80 gallon 2 stage even though I didnt have 220 in the garage. I installed my own outlet though. Glad I did. It is nice to have plenty of air and not worry about it.

Ben

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:37 pm
rikyric wrote:Hey guys, Ive been trolling the board for a while now and finally had a question. lol. I am going to buy a new air compressor, the one I have now is a tiny 8 gallon 2hp. great for small jobs but I am looking for a 60 gallon tank now. The particular one I am looking at is the Campbell Hausfeld VT6329 IRONFORCE series only sold at Lowes. Would I be able to paint a whole car with this one? Efficiently?

Peak HP 7

Max PSI 135

Gallons 60

SCFM at 40 PSI

SCFM at 90 PSI

I just bought that unit the other day to run air tools at home and do some paint work. It looks like a pretty good unit that should do the job well.
Will

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:44 pm
Momar, I hope you know what you are doing with wiring. Any mistakes with 240 can be real serious. If you have and doubts, get it checked out. (Yes, I was an industrial electrician in another life. I've seen things explode.)

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:40 am
I did it right, dont worry. My friend was over and watched me do it. He is the electrical tech at a body shop and gets the added pleasure of doing the wiring for their building. I also read through a home wiring book to make sure I was doing it right. The last part which made it real easy, was that there was already a 240 plug on the other side of the same wall that wasnt being used all I really did was move it to the other side of the wall. It has been running good for a few weeks now.

Ben
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies