Is it hard to write a proper estimate for a bodyshop?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:39 am
I only have about 6months experience working at a body shop and wanted to know if its too early for me to become a estimator?

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:54 am
Among many other things,you will need to know and understand how a vehicle is put together and know how to handle people in general. We are in a business where your customer is upset when they walk in your door, so you have to be a social engineer so to speak.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:30 pm
im great with people but not an expert at how a vehicle is put together but i know how to operate a estimating software i played with it before at the shop you think i need to take a appraiser's training course? thank you

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:17 pm
It's one thing to be an insurance adjuster who just plugs the numbers into a computer and another to be an estimator. It takes years of working in a body shop to develope the skills and knowledge of what it takes to repair a car.

A person that has been repairing cars for several years knows that the book may say it will take 4 hours to R & R a fender. But experience tells you it will take 8 and a good boby man can get it done in 6.

One way to piss off the boss is UNDER estimate repair jobs. It just take a few to reck havoc with the profit margin which is already very thin.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:47 pm
I guess i just need more experience working around the shop to be a great estimator appreciate the advice thank you

Return to The Pro Shop!