painter helper question

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:37 pm
Not sure if I'm in the correct thread for this so I appologize ahead of time! I been lurking for a few days and decided that theres alot of support and not alot of negativity so I will call this home now lol!

I had a few questions about being a painters helper and what other painter helpers do, and what you painters expect and what tools you expect you should have! Also I have a few pictures of what I have done, would that be something I should or could have as an option to give to my potential employer. Basically, put on my resume that I can furnish those upon request, or should I include them off the bat?

I have been going to are local votech and have worked on my skills from light non structural body damage to preping to painting. My problem is that I want to co-op because I feel that some of what comes in and goes out isnt truly giving me real life experience which would be expected from a school. My goal is to become a painter but like most people you have to start somewhere and work your way up, which I would prefer to do to learn all aspects and to better myself and prove to me and others that I will do anything to do good work! I can paint but I wouldnt ever say I am a professional just yet lol! This is a passion for me and I see it as the only thing I would want to do for a career not only for what I want to do for personal vehicles at home but as a job also.

My only problem as of right now is, not on the job experience, the place I live (not many jobs), and I wont have tools until next month! Which I will be getting a gti millenium, plus, primer/seal gun, da, buffer. And If I'm able to muster the finances I will be taking my ase for refinishing and non structural in november otherwise it will happen in the spring!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:38 pm
we expect you to know how to sand, tape, take things apart, put back together, pretty fast.
tools,
da, wrenchs (7mm-19mm), socket set (4mm-17mm) commons sizes, get a 5.5mm socket you'll need it on some fords. 1/4 and 3/8 rachets. flat and phillips screw drivers, as well torx and hex sets.
the best thing to do, is always ask what the painter wants done, learn to do things fast, take initative by doing on your own but not to the point that you screw up. always ask if unasure. never stand at the door and watch us paint. it's annoying. don't think you can it as well as us. there's more to it than laying down the paint. a lot tricks are needed to be learn. we have no problem teaching you if you ask, but don't be too eager. and offer to do some paint work at night, some light learning stuff, show you can be a back up, for when the main guy can't be there.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 pm
lild wrote:we expect you to know how to sand, tape, take things apart, put back together, pretty fast.
tools,
da, wrenchs (7mm-19mm), socket set (4mm-17mm) commons sizes, get a 5.5mm socket you'll need it on some fords. 1/4 and 3/8 rachets. flat and phillips screw drivers, as well torx and hex sets.
the best thing to do, is always ask what the painter wants done, learn to do things fast, take initative by doing on your own but not to the point that you screw up. always ask if unasure. never stand at the door and watch us paint. it's annoying. don't think you can it as well as us. there's more to it than laying down the paint. a lot tricks are needed to be learn. we have no problem teaching you if you ask, but don't be too eager. and offer to do some paint work at night, some light learning stuff, show you can be a back up, for when the main guy can't be there.

thats the only thing im nervous about is screwing up or doing what they dont want done or not knowing what they want or how they want it.

last thing Im ganna assume or think is that im better then who im working under, plus im not a cocky/proud person to where I think I'm better then anyone whether they have less experience then I do or have a hell of alot more than me . I understand that it takes years to become a top tech and theres alot of little tricks here and there that I wouldnt know exist until shown. Hell I never knew that you could use thinner or laquer in clear until just a week ago let alone why to even do it, still dont quite get it lol.....

I appreciate your response cause I really want to know what your wants and needs are so that way whoever I work for will be more than willing to teach me along the way and not hate me or be pissed at me all the time especially since I am still learning and even when I get into a shop I will be learning their ways, dif techniques and so on, which is why I still want to continue school but at a shop instead lol.

I can understand being watched is annoying, when I'm in the booth in class it aggravates me cause I feel like they could do something else rather than stare at me plus me still learning it makes me nervous, plus you always have a hater in the group!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:11 pm
should I even worry about getting guns. I still want some for my personal on the side stuff but as far as at a shop? I been asked before if I did so I assume that would be in there also as im sure you all wouldnt want a noob getting near what you have tuned to your liking assuming they let me touch something at some point and time!?

sorry its all kind of stupid questions im sure, i just dont want to look like an idiot to a potential employer

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:05 pm
First of all don't worry about knowing everything or having all the tools right now.
Learn to be on time or early to work, don't ask when break time or lunch is, do more listening than talking, don't make best friends with the slacker, follow orders and if you are not sure about what or how to do something ASK someone that knows. Clean up after yourself and if you borrow someone's tools ask them first and be sure to put them back where and how you found them. Don't get caught with your hands in another guys tool box without his permission.
Most guys will train someone with the above qualifications but if you violate any of the above you'll probably be shown the door.
In time you will learn what tools the boss expects you to have, what your "job" is and who you have to please as far as quality goes.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:22 pm
Like any new job you will be nervous about it.

I was a painters helper for about 6 months before I had to find a better more paying job. The work load wasn't always there.

Get your self some water proof shoes for one! HAHA! (do they even make those?) my feet were always wet! haha

The thing I can tell you from my short experience is this.

Watch and learn what the painter does. Do what he tells you. Try to do it as quickly as possible but make sure you do a qauility job.
Don't rush the job and give it to him. If you see a spot you missed and you think to yourself, it will fly.. .IT WON'T!

When you're new, ask questions and try to be outgoing as possible. Do as they say and you'll be good.

The painter I worked for I for the most part had a good relationship with. That always helps. Hard to work with someone you hate.. haha
"Many of us on here paint in our garages so "garage job" as a derogatory term isn't appropriate. The quality of the work is based on the person's ability not necessarily the facility he/she works in." - '68 Coronet R/T

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:35 am
I'm a little confused by exactly what you're looking for. In all the shops I worked at (including my own shop of close to 25 years) a painters helper was the low man on the totem pole, not much different than the shop "go-fer" ( does whatever he is told to do around the shop). A painters helper is usually paid close to minimum wage. As a normal painters helper you should not have to provide ANY tools and you sure as hell shouldn't have to provide any picture portfolio of work you were involved with. Several of the shops I worked in the painter himself was responsible for the painters helper. The painter paid his helper and painter provided whatever tools his helper needed to do the work.

Maybe you're talking more along the lines of a painter trainee. Which is a different job description with different expectations of what you will be responsible for in the shop. Most professional painters are not happy working with and training a new painter because it costs them time from their work which translates to money out of their pocket.

I have helped a lot of just starting out bodymen simply because thats how I got my start. More experienced bodymen took the time to explain things to me and to show me how to do different aspects of bodywork with them expecting nothing in return but a sincere thank you. I in turn did the same thing over the next several decades passing on what I learned helping lesser experienced bodymen.

I have never helped a novice painter in a commercial paintshop environment. And I don't believe I ever would.
Painting requires a skill level in a paying shop where there is not much room for error and as such I never wanted someone around me who didn't know what they were doing. When it comes to commercial paint shops you either know what you're doing or you don't and if you don't then it causes problems for everyone. (that level of expectation does not include a painters helper, most of the time).

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 pm
A helper in a body shop? Whats that? Ha-Ha-Ha,,,I never had one.

All your doing is training a person to become a painter,,,they dont stay around long.....
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:21 pm
No. now the problem is the language barrier. And those guys work cheap! thats the norm around these parts. So not only can't you learn properly because you can't understand them you can't learn properly cause there cheap labor and cut corners all the time. Or you get the old farts that are so set in there ways and heaven to betsy they let you learn any tricks or tips because they were never taught them they learned them on there own!. It's a straight up goofy **** business if you ask me. It's hard to really find a "teacher" in a bodyshop enviorment because of the whole time factor. But if private shop owners were smart. They would charge for classes like twice a week or weekends and teach the skills to the kids. More money in there pocket and boosts business and makes them look good in the community. :wink:
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Return to The Pro Shop!