Auto body career

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:07 pm
Hey

I'm new here and have some questions about the auto body field. Cars/trucks have been my passion all my life (I'm 24) And I started taking auto body last year. But I got out of it because family and friends (who are not in auto body) kept telling me how aweful the career was and how little money I could make at it. And Ive heard how rough of a career it is on the automotive technology side. So I left. But Ive missed it the whole time and I'm thinking about going back and specializing in paint and minor body work.

Heres my question. Can you make enough money to make a decent living specializing in paint and minor body? (I just mean decent not riches lol)

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:00 pm
It's a bit of a late answer but here's mine. Yes, you can make a very decent living working in autobody. You won't be rich but you won't live in a cardboard box either. It's not an easy job though. Health issues are a reality we cannot ignore. If you take precautions and work safely, 99% of them can be avoided.

I have a saying that goes: "If you love your job, then it's not a job anymore, it's a passion." I love what I do, I love seeing a car I worked on drive off looking better than it did when it got in the shop.

You should do what you want in life and not listen to people telling you otherwise.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:52 am
i think it's a very good job when you like it, i've learning this in 96/97 but i repair every cars for pleasure.after more experiences in differents jobs i return at school in juni for learn to repair auto body.....if you want, you can :wink:
i think, it's so easy to learn at 24 years than 35 years (my age)
i have every friend in this job and he's happy but he love it :D

Return to The Pro Shop!