What non-hazardous services to offer?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm
I really need your help coming up with ideas for services to offer my customers.
I live in a heavily EPA controlled area and would rather not mess with them if possible. ;)

I am opening a detailing shop that will do minor interior detailing services like cleaning, vacuuming, etc. Some exterior services like detailing and minor buffing/paint correction. I plan on doing some window tinting and carrying some car care products.

Looking for services that are minimum outlay of money for maximum profit. Then again, aren't we all? :)
Thank you!
-Bobby

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm
Bobby are you going to be mobile, or have people come to you?

How about PDR? A guy with your eye and skills would probably do great at that.

-Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 am
I'm renting out a shop that can hold about 6 cars comfortably. I was thinking of offering mobile service also and pickup/delivery.
One of the main problems I'm running into is water runoff. My landlord said that run-off water from washing is a big problem in our area also.
I have been looking at the Optima No Rinse (ONR) solution, but it doesn't seem to work all that great and its pretty expensive. :(

Thanks for the kind words about PDR. :) I was thinking about getting more into that, but don't have the right tools. If I start making some money, I'll definitely look into investing in a set of PDR tools.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 pm
Could you construct your own filtration system? Or a water trapping system? Make a hole in the floor that drains into a tank, have a pump push it through some filters or centrifuge smaller parts of the water? Just a few ideas.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 pm
Why not just buy a boat and start doing charters?

Its a LOT better that working on a damm car!

"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 am
joeshmo wrote:Could you construct your own filtration system? Or a water trapping system? Make a hole in the floor that drains into a tank, have a pump push it through some filters or centrifuge smaller parts of the water? Just a few ideas.

I thought about that also. I was thinking of making some type of holding tanks out of pond/pool plastic sheeting and a couple holes out back. That way, the water can evaporate off and any solid waste can be cleaned up every few months. The main problem is a wetlands area right behind my shop. I can't have any run-off into that area.

ODG,

Good point! I actually almost did a charter service (I'm on the coast), but the property I wanted sold before I could get the funding. Looks like you have a blast!
Every time I get sick of cars, I go back to working on computers. ;)

Return to The Pro Shop!