Starting new business

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 pm
Hello crew. I've been super busy looking for work and haven't found anything. So, I asked customers about what they knew and what they wanted in the area. I never would have thought it, but plastic repair is almost non-existant in my area. Also, there aren't very many painters willing to back up their paint jobs on plastic.

I have done plenty of expoxy fixes and a few airless welds when needed. That said, I'm jumping feet first. Buying all my gear and a nitrogen welding from urethane supply. I don't have much of my own stuff yet, I usually borrowed from others or shop. Below is my starter shop kit. I hope to make enough to beef up my gear. I'm going to (can't believe I'm saying this) focus on plastic repair for my business. Although, not turning down cash for bedliners and body work. There is definitly a demand for repair vs replace, but I have to price it right. Any tips on how you price plastic repair would be very helpful. I think I'm going to go pick up some plastic "trash" from shops and fix them up and resale them. I'm going to shoot waterborne when possible for the less shrinking and fumes I'll get. Wish me luck and any and all advice is welcome. I hope to take off and have a crew working with me by the end of next year.

Starting off with -
Air compressor BelAire (BEL6061V) because it's cheap and I hope to buy bigger one later and use this as a backup. Lines will be 3/4" pvc probably. Only running 160psi max...so...
DA Ingersoll-Rand (IR 311A) My work horse
Mini buffer/sander Mountain (MTN7351) again - cheap. I have never used this brand for anything before
Air Filter Devilbiss (DEV130525) we hate water in our tools
Spray Guns Devilbiss (DEVFLG647WB) cheap - once I can afford my LS400's these guns will be my primer guns
Angle Die Grinder Ingersoll-Rand (IR 3102K) another work horse
Die Grinder Ingersoll-Rand (IR 3108K) my every repair v-groover
Dryer guns and stand ATD Tools (ATD16800P) Again cheap but without any turbulance the waterborne just takes forever to dry.
Nitrogen Welding System Part No. 6056 This will be the main man. Nitrogen welding and airless welding on one cart. Why go all out on this and not other stuff? Because this allows me to cover almost every type of plastic repair with a stronger repair than any epoxy. Hince the plastic repair business...

Looks like I'll be building a make shift spray booth. I haven't laid those plans out yet. I'm hoping waterborne keeps the fumes down to a minimum though. :splat:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:22 pm
Remember,,,you can do a lot to plastic without welding it. There is plenty of good products on the market for plastic repair.
I have repaired HUNDREDS of bumpers and have never used a welder.........................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:11 pm
I agree about the bumper part. I have used SEM and 3M for a while. The welder is fast and is going to allow me to do more than just bumpers and general repair. My mindset into this was speed of repair with quality at the same time. Plus I don't like the mess of epoxy if I don't have to use it (tips, mixing board, spreaders). I'll still have to use it some, but I wont have to on every repair - all day long.

Return to The Pro Shop!