6H EPA and opening new shop

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:27 pm
For almost a year I had been painting out of a small make shift booth that I leased from my buddy's business. Mainly dealer work, wholesalers, and how I made real money was piggy back'in off his dealer license and rebuilding wrecked vehicles. It was an already established business and I never had to advertise to public so I never made it official.

Well long story short I had to cease operation due to him being bought out. I'm looking to get back in, however I just learned about this new 6H rule :flatten: . I have about 5,000 that I had set aside to open a small paint refinishing shop, mainly to keep buying and reselling wrecked cars. I have majority of the tools and equipement and quite a few of the necessary supplies left over from the previous venture. Mainly what the 5k was going to go towards was opening shop, lease, misc suppllies, and building a nice make shift booth.

So with that being said I want to be legitamite... to kind of make up for not being so legitamite :rolleyes:
Problem is I am having a hard time finding the exact procedures to follow to be a 100% compliant shop. I assume this means no make shift booth... I can possible obtain another 8000 if I sell some assets, as well as a friend that would loan me 2k with int of course. Keep in mind I've never been compliant so I don't know anything regarding whats accepted and whats not. I've also heard of course "this and that" through the grapevine... So I was wondering if anyone could shed light on what would make it acceptable for the inspector/epa/obama/ect.

What I know...
Training: I can show where I went to trade school for 3 years (no degree except aas). But every five years you need a refresher? What and how long is a refresher?
Booth: has to be 98% effective... does this rule out makeshifts lol? Would the $5k booths in a box suffice?
Records: No problem Im good at book keeping
fire/flame extinguisher system: I believe its not required out of city limits here

She said/he said:
Mixing paint has to be in a ventilated area seperated from the paint booth..?

Questions:
Body filler designated areas?
Sanding designated areas? Do I need a dustless system?
How the hell do mobile repair guys stay in business... or are they?

My plan is to first open it as a detail shop and do detailing and other stuff to stay afloat and establish myself a little bit... maybe do my "2 a year as a paint hobbyiest" then slap a booth in as a added service and get reinspected. Anyone thoughts, tips, suggestions, ect would be helpful. I understand most states have different regulations but I think the main points are the same... unless your california then thats a whole different story. Thanks

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:45 am
I talked to Sara Johnson at the EPA about this last year, but was asking more about the home/hobbyist aspect rather than a commercial shop.

Not sure if you saw this page, but it has a lot of information about what you are looking to do. Page 2 of that first PDF gives a nice summary of the shop requirements. Seems as though you could build a booth but would have to prove it meets the 98% trap test.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissi ... /index.htm

Keep in mind that you can do all the research you want but when it comes down to it the inspection by the EPA agent and your local building/zoning officers is going to be the deciding factor. I know a couple of guys in the business and the EPA inspection can be an ordeal. Their job is to protect the rest of humanity from your painting operation.

-Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:53 am
Step one is to always go to your local Planning and Zoning Board and discuss your plans with them.
Their job is to be sure your business goes into the proper zoning but also that it is in compliance with all the necessary codes.
I would recommend you put together your "Business Plan" in a step by step manner and then call to set up a meeting with them. This way they can get the required information together on their end as well so the meeting is productive for both parties.
Your Business Plan can also be used to secure funding for the project through Small Business Programs offered by the government.

It is amazing how much the codes can vary based upon your location.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:53 pm
Awesome thanks guys, I've been invovled in couple of businesses as a partner... just never was part of the initial start up.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:13 pm
Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am
I talked to Sara Johnson at the EPA about this last year, but was asking more about the home/hobbyist aspect rather than a commercial shop.

What did she have to say about the home/hobbyist?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 pm
Here's the followup message she sent me at the time we were discussing the issue:

Individuals who work on their personal vehicles or for others without compensation and NOT subject to this rule.

However, it has to be less than 2 motor vehicles (including ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. any moving vehicle)

This rule only applies if they are spray painting. Repairing dents, working on engines, and maintenance is not subjected to this rule. The rule is trying to minimize hazardous air pollutants created when spray painting. If they are hand applying the paint, again they are not subject to the rule.

The trick of the rule is compensation. If the hobbyist is getting "paid", and this means bartering or even a free dinner, they are no
longer a hobbyist but a business and must follow all the rules.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 pm
So its a good thing I am not being properly "compensated" for what I do. Most of the time it seems as though I am paying for the privilege to spray paint. :rolleyes:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 pm
My local paint supplier had the EPA come and give us a free class, it is not near what is being said on internet. I run a small shop at my house, built my own paint booth. The booth is supposed to be negative pressure and you must use 98% exhaust filters, not the booth being 98% it self. If you do all overs the booth must have 4 walls and a roof. If painting pieces you can have 3 walls. If you use a cup less than 3 ounces rule does not apply. As far as painter trainer, only you the body shop owner can certify your painters, so I certified myself. Basically just a handout with 10 questions to answer they gave us and I keep in my records. Also, must hand clean guns or use gun cleaner, can't just spray thinner thru it like you do paint. Your guns must be HVLP approved, the website of your gun should have a form that states gun meets regulation, just keep in your records. Dont have chemical stripper, they dont like it and want to totally elimate that. I was worried but found out I met all of 6H except exhaust filter part, filters I was using were 98% but couldn't get manufacture to send me statement so I just changed brands. Go to http://www.epa.gov/collisionrepair it will tell all you need to know. I could have filed exempt since I dont use any paint product with the 5 chemicals they want to reduce, but I went ahead anyway just in case I did in future. Havent had any problems yet. :allgood:

Return to The Pro Shop!