Rising Materials Costs....

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:08 am
Man, have you shop owners put pen to paper lately??? Keep in mind I'm a wood restoration shop but I pretty much buy the same types of materials as most of you which include sandpapers, strippers (in bulk), finishes, etc. I know most of this stuff is related to rising oils prices and a crappy economy but jeesshhh... Look what's happening in the last 24 months here... My stippers have gone up 65%.... Finishes are up 56%... Some fillers and epoxies have DOUBLED :shocked: in price... Sandpapers are more like 20 to 30%...
And, you know, I'm buying stuff in quantity as much as I can but wow, you'd better take a good look at how much "jingle" you are netting on your operations... :pcorn:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:42 pm
You are right on the rising costs. Customers look at the quotes I give them and are always shocked when they see the material costs. Especially guys that have googled cheap paint brands and think it is all the same so why am I charging more for my stuff.
I think it is all tied into the petroleum fiasco. Until we started drilling the prices are going to up and up and up since most of the countries we buy oil from hate us.
Have you priced oil for your car lately? Over $5 a quart :shocked: and not so long ago you could get a quart for under a buck.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:27 pm
I think it is all tied into the petroleum fiasco. Until we started drilling the prices are going to up and up and up since most of the countries we buy oil from hate us.

Yeah can't blame it all on those countries though, up here in NH prices hover around 3.75. Think it was 3.79 today when I filled up. Talked to one of the managers the other day about it. The station only brings in on average .02 cents per gallon. That's after the Delivery fee, the storage fees, and a few other fees. But the kicker was how much of it is Taxes, almost $2.50 is taxes she said.

On the price increases, everything is going threw the roof, our tow straps are starting to wear quicker, but have gone up another 5%. We just got notified tire prices are about to go up again. And yet the customers expect us to lower our costs for a tow.

Return to The Pro Shop!