How's business ?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:29 pm
Hey, if this keeps up I may have to resort to a life of crime - by going into politics. :rotfl:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:41 pm
Nahh, I don't think I can switch to politics either. After watching all these guys getting accused, convicted, etc. I'm not seeing any "long term" potential.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:34 pm
im in northern illinois. and the way i see it. more shops should actually partner up. It's a catch 22 but instead of the competition you can consolidate and give those customers only a few places to go to. Yes as we all know in this industry it's like tattooing. Very rarely can you find an apprenticeship. Or so many stupid secrets specially from the old timers. In my opinion. But if the big headed owners could all work together then most likely the buying power would come up. the costs would go down. turnaround should be faster because of being able to hire more guys. and Don't specialize. Do everything!. I work by myself which is tough and i've put adds out there for a partner that at least has some body shop experience or business sense. Hell mechanical sense! and It's not easy. I have six full paints and one restore sitting here all in different stages of work. How i make my money is that i don't profit off the materials because for me personally that puts it over the price point for my customers so i make them pay what i pay. I make money on my labor and return business or referrals. but i'll do anything from cars, trucks, rigs, tractors, sno-mobiles. atvs you name it. I'm not picky. So if anyone is in the northern illinois area or would not mind talking to me about partnering up let me know i'm always open!. Peace!. :allgood:
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 am
Find small companies that can bring you steady work, once you have 2 or 3, you got your bare minimum to keep the others open. Car financing and car lots are good to have.

The trend I've been noticing with customers is that they get the insurance checks and want to get their car fixed with half of the money. The only thing you can do is take the job, if not someone else will. Buying wrecked cars for resell as you go is also a good idea for the down time.
Previous

Return to The Pro Shop!