Would you take on an apprentice who would work for free?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 pm
Hey guys, I'm a huge car fan that is interested in learning the autobody trade for hobby purposes. I've been finding myself with some free time lately that I'd like to use working in an auto body shop. I'm 26 and I've already got a career (I am currently in dental school in NY), so I have the luxury of being pretty indifferent on compensation. My only goal is to be competent and confident in my ability to successfully restore my own cars once I'm not a broke student anymore (I've got time, dental school is a doctorate degree, so I don't graduate until 2014, guh). If I were to go around town offering myself as a very competent and reliable person offering myself up for free for anyone willing to teach me, do you think I'd have any success? I could work 1 weekday every week (most likely same day, which I know would affect what kind of things I'd be able to do based on scheduling at the shop) as well as most weekends (aside from before finals week and odd events like that). Does anyone have any tips or recommendations on what to do/say or not to do/say when approaching the smaller local body shops in my area? Thanks for any help.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:14 pm
I think there are insurance concerns with having a non-compensated person on the floor. At least that's what I was told when I tried the same thing here locally.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:56 pm
Well, I've had apprentices in our wood restoration trade before but Coronet is right, you can't just work for "free." After discussions with both our attorney and accountant we ended up drawing up an apprenticeship agreement. It set out the terms of length of program, compensation, optional tool/materials package purchase, etc. For my protection there was also a two page "trade and technical practices "section that kept this freshly trained person from going across town and becoming one of my competitors, at least for a two year period. I've personally also done college work study/ training programs and even the volunteers in those programs received some type of compensation and signed agreements.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:48 am
personally i would not be aiming for regular bodyshops; you will learn some basics but not "restoration" work.

i would try and find someone already doing a restoration (experienced dude) and look to help him out. you'll learn more.

the boss may like you but you will be seen as a hindrance on the shop floor. so it will take a lot of your 1 days to pick up any skills. plus the legal side to it as alluded to above.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:53 am
i would take on a free apprentice or legally pay him the states mininum wage for a hour of work is all you have to do. Problem is. this generation for the most part does not know the meaning of starting at the bottom and working there way up. or showing up for work period!.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:03 am
Rafsen,,,You said,,"personally i would not be aiming for regular bodyshops; you will learn some basics but not "restoration" work.

i would try and find someone already doing a restoration (experienced dude) and look to help him out. you'll learn more".

Why do you say that? Dont take this the wrong way,,Im just asking.

To me you would learn how to do body work faster in a production shop. You would see the process done more times in a day, And in the booth on the first day.
Once you learn production work,,,the resto work is VERY easy.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Return to The Pro Shop!