Heating a garage / shop?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 am
If you decide to go with the infrared heater, there are some precautions, because they heat objects.

http://www.irsafetycouncil.org/util/showdoc.aspx?doc=7

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:37 am
I like using Propane...
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:35 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:I like using Propane...

with propane though....isn't there an open flame?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:51 pm
veloziraptor wrote:
OldDupontGuy wrote:I like using Propane...

with propane though....isn't there an open flame?

That's been addressed, but for safety's sake, it deserves repeating:

OldDupontGuy wrote:I never have the heater running while Im spraying. Heat everything up first, then turn the heat off before you tack off the car and spray.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:30 pm
I have a 250.000 btu natural gas AG heater mounted on the outside of my shop with the duct running through the wall. No inside flames so I can run it anytime.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:21 am
i have a propane space heater like this:

heater and gas bottle outside the booth/room... ducted inside so i can run it when spraying but with exhaust fans running it sucks all the heat out in no time.... can get expensive. but these heat up a space in no time.

also propane produces some moisture but ive never had an issue with it.

you will need to attach those metal fine mesh filters on the intake side of the heater to stop dust

HTH

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:32 pm
If you open up into the attic, as long as your roof is vented, build yourself a filter box and run hot water fin tube behind a filter.
A simple hot water tank and a small circ pump is plenty to run a shop that size, and you can run an exhaust fan out the side of the shop, creates a passive partial downdraft, with a filtered supply, no dust being stirred up, and clears the overspray out, so you can use a faster reducer/hardener, and not die of lung cancer :)
It's tried and true method, Im in Canada and it works great as low as -20, and costs only a couple hundred bucks and an afternoon to put together.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:56 pm
You can also use a ceiling mounted radiant tube sealed combustion system , that uses outside air for combustion. Porperly installed they work great and do not over heat the area it's meant to heat. Yes it heat objects but it will also heat the flor and that makes for comfortable work conditions

Oops a little late but oh well
Yes there is a God and you are not him !
http://www.myclassicvehicals.webs.com

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:39 pm
A solution that works great and we have used it for 3 years is a 220volt electric shop heater mounted outside the booth near the garage door works great we can paint even in -20 temps it's electric and cheaper then LPG also I'm not certain but I know in Quebec Canada fire code states your not allowed to have 100 lb propane tanks inside a building due to a fire hazzard and you also have to remember gas heaters give off Co2 gases so u need to ventilate the heater and propane heaters are dangerous when using paints and solvents
Previous

Return to The Pro Shop!