Thinkn' About Direct Repair

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:38 am
My shop has gotten by for a long time on person to person and repeat customers, also personal rebuild and sells. I've recently went through and re did the shop structure and relocated and with everything being so fresh I'm kinda pondering trying to become a direct repair facility for some insurance companys. Any one out there done this already and if so how did you go about it? Is it as simple as a application and inspection or does it need to be a in person interview kinda thing?

I've recently (thank goodness) got a couple of experienced guys under me instead of the typical "train me and i'll work for you forever young guys" and would like to really keep work stacked for them... On my personal resales i pay them hourly (cheap) and would like them to be able to make some good money for a couple reasons 1) to see them suc. 2) to give them a reason to hang around...

Also, if anyone has some "bewares" or "look out for's" that would be good too. There are a couple local fellas doin drp in my city and i'm not at all worried about the quality of my mom and pop shop production compared to the sand scratches and poor paint quality i've seen from these vetran drp guys.... i hate to throw stones just being honest i guess.

Thanks
MPS :goodjob:
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:09 am
Wow good luck I have mixed feelings about this
1. It alows the insurance co to steer and control price more that they do already
2. So many people are doing it You may as well get on board before you cant get any insurance work.
Take the time to look over what they want and expect some is good it will make you a better shop some is totaly rediculous. Like haveing to answer your phone 7 days a week are they nuts a man deserves time away.
I guess what I'm trying to say is there is good and bad with it so just dont jump in with out finding out the expectaions find a co that wants to fix the car and not worry about there stock holders. I personally had good luck with State Farm take your time and look over the contracs Good luck.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:28 pm
flpainter wrote:Wow good luck I have mixed feelings about this
1. It alows the insurance co to steer and control price more that they do already
2. So many people are doing it You may as well get on board before you cant get any insurance work.
Take the time to look over what they want and expect some is good it will make you a better shop some is totaly rediculous. Like haveing to answer your phone 7 days a week are they nuts a man deserves time away.
I guess what I'm trying to say is there is good and bad with it so just dont jump in with out finding out the expectaions find a co that wants to fix the car and not worry about there stock holders. I personally had good luck with State Farm take your time and look over the contracs Good luck.

To be honest your two posts are what i exspected to hear because thats what I was really contemplating.... jump or don't jump....
MissouriPaintSlinger

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 am
GO for it,we are insurance approved.The only thing is are you going to also be warranty approved.If so you will need different paint systems for different manufacturers.You will also need to put a guarantee on your work.The best thing will be getting all the approval's.Will you need to supply courtesy cars.Theres allot of questions to ask.The courses you will have to go on ,Specialities on air bags ,certain certificates.Approval on mechanical work,are they qualified to do the work.and on and on and on.Lot to look in to.Welding equipment ,test on welding will be a big one.Your insurance will shoot up to cover any liability.
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:44 pm
paintpot wrote:GO for it,we are insurance approved.The only thing is are you going to also be warranty approved.If so you will need different paint systems for different manufacturers.You will also need to put a guarantee on your work.The best thing will be getting all the approval's.Will you need to supply courtesy cars.Theres allot of questions to ask.The courses you will have to go on ,Specialities on air bags ,certain certificates.Approval on mechanical work,are they qualified to do the work.and on and on and on.Lot to look in to.Welding equipment ,test on welding will be a big one.Your insurance will shoot up to cover any liability.

After further review due to contracts they require to be signed I really am not sure i want to hand they keys to my shop over to them. I am certified enough to cover all the areas needed, my staff is certified on this and that enough that together they work well to compensate each others strong and weak points... having them to certify over this year would not be too hard to do. We are one of the last few shops staffed with full combination workers. most shops now hire per person per job set. I just won't hire unless they can start and finish a job. We offer a (Owner Lifte Time) warranty on our repairs currently. We do not use anything other than the basic urethane system. Really, i've never heard any where around here about using different systems for different manf.

In alll honesty providing a rental to all the customers just seems like to much for me... I really think they are asking too much for the "possibility" of work. So I really think it's just gonna be a no go and i'm gonna just take the work that comes in.... I'm not gonna give them access to my shop for the opportunity to make a occasional dollar or two. they will still use me... regardless.
MissouriPaintSlinger

Return to The Pro Shop!