House of color discontinue MBC?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:08 am
Has anyone hear this: I went to my local jobber to get some 4oz bottles of HOK metajuls to shoot some test cards. They were advised by their distributor that HOK had sent them a letter Monday stating the HOK was discontinuing the metajuls line! Has anyone heard this? I have a feeling that the distributor is blowing smoke and just doesn't want to mess with small HOK orders :realmad: . . . . I have sent an email to HOK but haven't heard back yet. An info would be GREATLY appreciated! :flatten: Thanks guys. Mel

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:57 am
is it still listed on there website? find another distributor and ask them.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 pm
MBC01 and MBC04 are still listed on the new HOK price sheet, the others are gone.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:47 pm
Thanks paint-mixer. I contacted another distributor and found out the same thing. I guess I shouldn't be so hard of the local guys! Shame on me! :oops:

So now I need to find a new solution! How about this . . . . I use mini-flake or ultra mini flake mixed with SG150 inter-coat pearl / flake karrier and shoot it in place on the MCB? they both use the same mix ratio and look to be about the same. what do you guys think? also noted that flake is sold my weight but the formulas mix it by the TBS. SO . . . does anyone know what HOK flake compares weight to volume? IE: TBS per ounce? I'd try HOK but have never got them for respond to a question. Thanks again guy's. Mel

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:07 am
Just to close this out . . . 6 ounces is just over one cup. There are 16 Tbsp in a cup so one Tbsp = 3/8 of an ounce. One ounce is approximately 2.66 Tbsp. :pcorn:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:11 am
One cup = 8 oz.

http://www.asknumbers.com/CupsToOuncesConversion.aspx

There are indeed 16 tablespoons to a cup, so a tablespoon = 1/2 oz.
1 oz. = 2 tablespoons.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:28 am
edpol wrote:One cup = 8 oz.

http://www.asknumbers.com/CupsToOuncesConversion.aspx

There are indeed 16 tablespoons to a cup, so a tablespoon = 1/2 oz.
1 oz. = 2 tablespoons.

Ed that would be true if you are dealing with wet measure. BUT (for example) a cup of gold is way over 8 ounces, and a cup of marshmallow is a lot less than 8 ounces. Flake is lighter then water so 6 ounces fills a measuring cup (trust me I just did it). What we are dealing with is volume vs. weight. I'm just guessing, but figure that HOK did the conversion and sell 6 oz. knowing it's a cup IE: 16 Tablespoons. Hope that explains the problem. :allgood:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 pm
Excellent observation. Seems too complicated though. Probably easier and more accurate to get a scale and weigh the product, be it flakes or pearls, etc. That way, you get the same exact amount of product per ounce of clear.

Return to The Pro Shop!