On the side

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:07 am
Occasionally I do a job on the side, but I am never quite sure how to arrive at the right estimate. I don't know if this is the right section, but how are some of you estimating your work if you don't mind me asking?

~Kyle

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:07 am
Most collision shops have software that guides them through the estimating process and coincides with what insurance companies are willing to pay.
I only do side work and that occasionally.
My process is to break the job down into steps since each job is different the number of steps can change.
For example:
Dismantling the car - think through what needs to come off and what is involved in getting it off and putting it back on.
From there a couple of lists are generated. Tools needed, supplies for removal and installation (like adhesive remover, adhesive tape), hours of labor involved for removal and installation.

Using this method for each step brings me a list of Materials, shop supplies and hours of labor.
Since labor rates vary by location what you charge will be determined by your reputation and local competitor's rates.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:23 pm
That's what I pretty much do so, alrighty then!

Thanks!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:50 am
I was gone one day, and a older gentleman I had working jumped to the helm and priced a cab corner/rocker job on a ford f250 and didnt' factor having to removed the rear doors due to the angle they hold it was a ext cab. needless to say I refused to work on the truck or dedicated any time it ended up being a friend of his. I said do it yourself but I still paying out of my pocket more than what you claimed it could be done for. since he did that job he refuses to estimate any more jobs. Don't work for free.... our industry is plagued by people who think ANYONE can do it and do it right.... I get paid to do my work...
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long

Return to The Pro Shop!