Advice please? (First day at collision shop job)

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 pm
Heh, alright here's the deal. I just got hired today as a painter's helper at a collision shop. I know a bit, my stepdad does restorations and I helped him tape cars and do a bit of wet sanding. So on a WHIM I applied for the job, and now I got my first day of work tomorrow and I'm incredibly nervous.

First, I'm a girl. And generally, this is a man's world. And I'll be working with men, only men. So I don't want to be a 'ditsy girl' in the shop, I want to be able to hold my own. But...he never explained much about the job. I told him I had experience with taping a car and some wet sanding, he asked a few questions about those...So...

Any ideas what I should expect? I know like 3 people work at this place, that's it. Also, any tips on wet sanding/taping/any kinda painter's helper tasks I may get?

I just really don't want to make an **** out of myself right off the bat heh =/ Thanks

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:12 am
I have worked with quite a few women. They make good preppers. He has to see what you can do, so make sure you do a good job every time he gives you something to do. (I'm sure you know that)
If he gives you a job you cant handle or have never done before,,,let him know. Don't try to do it and screw it up. Be honest with your self and your boss and let him know what you can and can't do.

Relax,,,you'll be fine....
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:27 pm
When wet sanding or prepping a panel and you don't want to scuff the next panel lay a strip of 3/4 tape down the edge so you don't accidentally hit the paint you don't want scratched.

:welcome:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fully Engaged
New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 pm
Go in with no expectations.
You will get the jobs that the more experienced guys don't want to do, that's half the reason they hired you haha.
Having said that though, you will most likely find that they will treat you as an equal, and will try help to better your skills. They wont just look down on you and tell you to go sweep the floor and stay out of peoples way.

Stay positive, and show the same enthusiasm with every job they give you, don't moan about doing a job you don't want to do.
If all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:43 am
I agree with ODG! take this as a learning experience and if you arent sure of something of havent done it before, ask for help! most people in the shop wont mind helping you out a bit!

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:25 am
When I got my 1st proper job in a bodyshop my only other experience was doing my own cars so I was basically self taught.
Turned out I hadn't taught myself very well lol and they soon noticed this.
By learning off the other guys in the shop,watching and asking,I soon learnt the correct procedures and within 6 months I was let loose respraying customers cars.

Watch how the how experienced guys work and if in doubt ask....failing that flutter your eyelashes :happy:
Good luck

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 pm
What I tell all new employees that I hire:

Show up on time
Expect to start at the bottom and have to prove your worth keeping
Do your best - quality work is what the customer expects
Give an honest days work for a days pay - keep your personal life at home and your mind on your job
If you don't know how to do something, say so and don't be afraid to ask questions.
And pay attention when someone gives you training - you'll only get it once without hassle
If you screw up, tell your boss - better you own up than have the boss blame someone else or bad quality work going to a customer
Don't make the same mistakes twice - it calls into question your competence

I never have problems with the employees that take this advise to heart.

Return to The Pro Shop!