Someone else's body work

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:36 pm
I know it happens all the time, but do you ever have problems painting over someone else's body work & the customer blames you for problems they incur at a later date, like bubbling, peeling, etc?

Or are there steps you should take that would prevent that?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:50 pm
Explain to the customer before hand of the possibilities.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 pm
I don't paint over anybody's body work but mine. You can explain to the customer all you want but when somebody asks him who painted the car it will be your name that comes up.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:03 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I don't paint over anybody's body work but mine. You can explain to the customer all you want but when somebody asks him who painted the car it will be your name that comes up.

That's what I was thinking. Not worth the trouble I think.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:10 pm
Sometimes it is best to get it down in writing so both parties are in agreement.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I don't paint over anybody's body work but mine. You can explain to the customer all you want but when somebody asks him who painted the car it will be your name that comes up.

I agree 100%, whether it's automotive or any other trade, do it right or risk your rep. I got burned ONCE. It was a bathroom remodel with walls that weren't square. Customer didn't want to pay extra to have the walls trued, I needed the cash, and two neighbors wanted work done after his job was complete. Guess who got the blame when the tile looked uneven? His neighbors cancelled, despite the fact I explained why it looked the way it did. After that, I never took another job when the customer wanted "short cuts".

Return to The Pro Shop!