Starting up a shop

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:39 am
Hi Guys,
Been lurking this forum for some time now so thought I'd reach out for some advice here.

I'm fairly new to the industry and a good friend of mine who will soon be my business partner has about 15years experience in the industry, I'll be more on the admin side of the business etc but would like to get hands on.

Core business we'll be looking at is small touch ups eg scuffed bumpers and paintless dent removal and so on.

Any advice on best ways to learn new skill set? I'm really interested in the paint side of things

Thanks in advance for any advice :worthy:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:39 pm
Tris -
in the absence of other knowledgeable sources, here's my $0.02 worth:
1.) Try finding other individuals in the business - maybe not in your immediate area (i.e. - your competition), but someone close who can tell you about the local rules and regulations.
2.) Look into taking a paint class (i.e. PPG, DuPont, etc.) at one of the paint company training centers. Highly worthwhile.
3.) Buy a spray gun, and practice painting some things at home (or better yet, in the shop/mobile unit you may be buying). You will find out more from experience than you will reading/watching tutorials on it.

Good luck in your new business venture!

Non-Lurker

South Africa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 pm
Thank you for the reply
I will look into the paint company training.
Other guys in the industry aren't very helpful though so I will have to work around that.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:10 pm
(Core business we'll be looking at is small touch ups eg scuffed bumpers and paintless dent removal and so on.)
Only doing petty work like that will not pay enough to keep the doors open. A true collision shop has to have equipment. Paint booth and a frame machine at minimal.

Return to The Pro Shop!