Body Shop Start up

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:42 am
Hello, I have been reading this board for a while now and it has a ton of great info. I've always been a guy who has done his own body and paint for the fun of it with out an formal training. However I am now wanting to open my own shop and am looking for a little direction. I have been in the automotive business for 24 years with the last 13 in advertising and marketing. I would like a change of pace (non corporate) and would like to open a nice shop. Is there anyone who would be willing to share some of their experience and answer some general questions for me? I will make myself available at anytime to have a discussion about this business. Thanks in advance.
73 RS Camaro 468 and 1996 GTS Viper.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:38 pm
Anyone? I have many industry books that show avg number of repairs per month, gross sales etc... However I can not find anything on gross net or net net. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:27 pm
I don't know if this is the kind of info you're looking for, but I try to answer as many questions as I can. I don't own a shop, but I've been around for awhile and think I have a pretty good grasp on the auto body trade. The shop I work at has four body guys, two painters(I'm one), a detailer, a manager/estimator and a receptionist. Our goal number is $145,000 in gross sales per month. Our goal is 45% gross profit. We are a DRP shop so we do almost all insurance work. The pros of our relationship with the insurance companies is increased volume. The cons are that you end up doing many of the little things for free in order to save the insurance companies money. In essence you end up giving not as good of a repair because they won't pay as much as is needed to properly fix a car. It's always been a dream of mine to open a small shop with me and maybe one other guy. I figure if you have a paint booth and a nice area to do repairs, you could do lots of great work at good prices. From customs to small repairs to cosmetic work for used car dealerships. I would also offer detailing services for a little extra money. Maybe even invest in one of those spray on bedliner things. I applaud anyone who opens up their own shop if it's their intent to do good quality work. I do not applaud people who open up shops to cater to insurance companies. If your interested in doing good work and improving the image of this industry, than I will answer absolutely anything I can for you. I'm envious that you will be doing what I want to do. Unfortunately I don't have as much money as ambition, so I wish you the best, and please don't hesitate to send me an email if you want to do some brainstorming. I have lots of ideas and more opinions.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:18 am
fumesniffer, I absolutely want to do the best job as possible. I've never been one to just do a job to get paid or I would have never reached where I am today. Fom the outside looking in it appears the insurance companies are a necessary evil. I hope to have a shop that can balance ins work and non ins business. Your information is greatly appreciated as I am the bottom on my corporate withs. Again, thank you very much for your help. P. :D

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:03 pm
I think it real hard to mix ins work with resto work. Biggest resson is u have to get the ins work done fast. So if u get alot of ins work the resto stuff has to sit on the back burner. I was at a shop for 8 years all we did was ins work. They would not even do a complete. Took to much time. The shop I'm at now is smaller and does anything.I did a chevelle a month back. I would work on the car for a day or 2 when slow than it sat for a month at one time cuz we got busy. lets just say the customer was not the happiest guy around. And if u don't get the ins work down they will drop u. So I think it better to open 1 or the other. Just my 2 cents

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:02 pm
I AGREE IT'S HARD TO DO BOTH. I HAVE A SMALL SHOP THAT DOES BOTH AND SOMETIMES THE GUYS WITH THE OLD STUFF DON'T REALIZE I WORK ON OTHER STUFF THAN THEIRS. I BECAME KNOWN FOR MY CUSTOM STUFF & FELL INTO INSURANCE WORK. BEEN THE DEALER ROUTE QUALITY REPAIR NEVER ENTERS THE EQUAZION IT'S ALL ABOUT PRODUCTIVITY. IF YOU CAN FIND A NICE MIX OF THE 2 YOU WILL BE LUCKY. I LIKE AN INSURANCE JOB EVERY NOW & THEN JUST TO MAKE SURE I STILL HAVE IT.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:44 am
where are you at in Pa i am in Pa too

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:28 pm
jay72, look at the date on this post!!!!! 2005!! Last I talked to fumesniffer, he was working for Keenan's West in Westchester, PA. I have not heard from him in over a year and I still have unanswered PM's from him, so I don't think he uses this board anymore. Which is unfortunate, because he sounded like a very experienced and intelligent guy.

Return to The Pro Shop!