new clear gun lph400 vs supernova?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:09 am
Hi Guys, I've been spraying sealer, bases and even clear coat with an iwata LPH400LVX (orange cap) for a bit over a year now. I got the gun to spray base coat with and I had been using a devilbiss plus gun to shoot clear with.

Well, I rarely touch the old plus gun any more, honestly I guess if I had a bigger fluid tip for it I might use it for primer.

I've really gotten used to the LPH400 with it's big pattern, soft spray and low overspray. I know I should be using a silver cap for clear (LV) but I don't have one and I've been getting by. Besides, I level and buff OP on everything anyways.

I want a dedicated clear gun and I'm looking at LPH400LV and WS400 EVO (supernova)

Either way I'd be looking at a 1.4 fluid tip. All my jobs are complete sprays and speed getting around the car is important to me.

I can get LPH400LV for around $499 locally, still waiting on a price for the supernova.

Price isn't a huge deal.

I am leaning towards the LPH400LV just because I am so familiar with the gun in the LVX variety. I would just hate to learn later that the supernova is really that much better of a gun.

I also have my eye on SATA 5000, honestly the non digital is looking to be right in there price wise with the supernova (online shopping). But I really am leaning Iwata for some commonality reasons.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Your spraying style will determine which gun you are most happy with.
Generally the Iwatas are for a slower more deliberate style of spraying. SATAs tend to be a bit faster which I guess equates to throwing out more paint. The Iwata W400 gets great reviews as well but the Supernova I am not sure about.
I have gotten excellent results with my LPH400 silver cap but find I am grabbing the Tekna Copper 7E7 with a 1.4 tip for everything but 2k primer now. Larger fan and lays paint down real nice.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:18 am
thanks.

I guess I do like speed, I don't mind the deliberate application that goes with the iwata, even with 1.4.

So far I have been able to get around a car with my Iwata fast enough to sew my coatings together.

I Have been a devilbiss guy for many years prior to this one iwata gun. From old conventional JGA siphon rigs, pressure feeds, gravity guns like GTI, Plus and the less expensive offerings like finishline.

I recently tried going back to my plus gun for a small clear job and it was like I forgot how to use it. So, I put it away again.

This one lone LPH400 has become a work horse for me, i use it for everything from the sealer on up.

I only have the orange cap right now which has worked well for me on most base coats, except for a light gold metallic base, I encountered some mottling with that gold with my orange cap. I just couldn't dial it in, I guess most people would tell me I might have done better with the purple cap on that job.

I like the idea of the tekna copper, I just don't want to muddy the waters for myself though. I guess I am afraid I will like it and then I will take off in that direction and I just keep chasing my tail, lol.

I'm into my second year of operating as a full time business for myself, I don't do any collision/insurance work. It's all classic restorations. I have like a hundred different categories and sub categories to define with products and processes. This paint gun thing is just one of many topics that I need to settle into as I move forward. I do realize that all things are relatively fluid, product and tool advancements will become available and I will upgrade accordingly with time.

But for right now I guess I'm happy enough with the Iwata LPH400, it's speed is acceptable for me, I am not a production shop, I just need to get around an overall spray fast enough to sew the coat together before it kicks.

I've made the decision to buy a dedicated clear gun, I like the idea of commonality in ergos and pass speed, distance to part etc, matching up somewhat with the base gun.

It really doesn't matter to me if I spend $500 or $800, I just want to choose the right gun.

Local reps are pushing the supernova pretty hard, but I just don't see it very much out in the real world. What I mean is I can't put my eyes on too many supernova guns actually in use in spray booths.

So, I don't know if the push and the hype is based on actual awesomeness or if it's just salesmen trying to sell the same old tool with a zoomy new style/shape?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:52 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote: The Iwata W400 gets great reviews as well

That's a good point too, people do really like the W400.

I wonder if for clear only, and with the goal being to lay the clear as slick as possible, could the W400 win over the LPH400?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:52 pm
I am only going by the opinions of others since I have no personal experience with the W400 but most I have read rave about it as a clear coat gun.

Maybe do a Google search for W400 reviews?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:22 am
I am a big fan of iwata guns. They are easy to handle and spray awesome. It's all about preference for each person. I have 4 sata's and always go to my iwata. The painter at work has 2 iwata's and always uses his sata's. The best thing is to talk to your paint rep and see if you can demo a gun. If that's not possible stick with what you know works.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:17 am
I ended up ordering a Sata 50000 B RP with 1.3 fluid tip.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:41 pm
Fluid tip might be a little small for clear but let me know how you like it

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:06 pm
I'm having a hard time accepting the 1.3 myself, but everybody says they choke the 1.4 down so tight on this gun that they feel they should have went 1.3

I guess I will find out.

I got one of those deals that u can't pass up, worth the gamble for the price I paid.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:49 pm
All the more reason to purchase
Next

Return to The Pro Shop!