First "Paying" Job

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 am
Have a guy that wants me to paint his saddlebags... 2 bins, 2 lids.

They are the Harley Police style bags, currently white. He wants to change them to the OEM color to match the rest of his bike. Work consists of sanding the OEM finish, only has minor imperfections and no damage repair required. Spray sealer, 2-3 coats of metallic color (Harley OEM Pewter), and 3 coats of clear. Then cut smooth and buff.

Parts are already stripped of all hardware and sitting in his garage. Time is not an issue as he has the original bags on his bike. I told him it would be 2 months before I could even get to it, then probably a month before I could hand them back. He said that's not a problem.

I have gone over what it's going to take in materials and labor a few times. Let the estimate sit for a couple of weeks and then tweaked it a little. Looking like it's going to be just a bit under $800 all inclusive for 2 bins and 2 lids.

From the consumer side $800 seems high. But from the business side it seems a little low.

Thoughts????????????????

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:43 am
I was hoping to get some feedback from guys who do this every day.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:04 pm
I think you are in line with your price. Top of the line materials are not cheap nor is your labor and talent

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 pm
Would like to hear from a few others.

Just need to know if I am in the ballpark with what pros are going to charge. I would like to be a little lower as I don't want to kill the guy. But I don't want to kill myself either.

Material cost is what it costs. Not going to use a cheap paint to try and cut cost. I am discounting my labor a good bit from "shop time". I know I am slower than someone who does this every day and don't have the overhead. But I also know my quality will be just as good as if he took it to a big shop.

Return to The Pro Shop!