Help purchasing tints/paints/color matching software

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 pm
Hi guys, I am working at a body shop. How do you determine what tints or colors you need to buy from a specific supplier in order to have accessibility-ready to match to the OEM spec color with color matching software? We currently use PPG paints at our shops and envirobase colors. I would like to purchase for at home use but I dont know what paints to purchase since they are all costly. Thanks!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:07 pm
Not quite understanding the question - are you saying you want to get set up with a PPG mixing bank, at home? You'll need every tint in the system. Huge investment. I also doubt PPG would even allow that.

Most shop owners I know will let their guys buy paint off their system for home/hobby use - at a fair price. Why not do that?

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 am
Well... I'd like to be able to do some work on the side as well on the weekends for friends and family. I have access the the paint software but wondering why the owners don't buy directing from PPG. They get through a parts store. Most tints I see are blacks/whites/silvers about 20 bottles of them and then id say around 40-50 colors to mix with. How much does that cost usually?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:17 am
Waterborn toners/tints have a very short shelf life, 6months giver or take, you would have to really be putting out a ton of work to justify a paint bank, even then the chances of you getting all those toners for free like shops do would be slim to none. probably around 5-8k for a bank
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:24 am
PainterDave wrote:Waterborn toners/tints have a very short shelf life, 6months giver or take, you would have to really be putting out a ton of work to justify a paint bank, even then the chances of you getting all those toners for free like shops do would be slim to none. probably around 5-8k for a bank

any advice where I shouild start to start up my side gig at home? All the tools needed? I have polisher, compressor, sand papers, wax, polish, masking tapes. I am just missing a paint supply, and color matching software.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 am
i use to paint at home myself, been a long since ive done that... the only equipment i could recommend is a quality spray gun. my recommendations for other equipment would lack because all of mine is purchased for me. i get the best of everything so little to no research goes into what i purchase, i have a 200 thousand dollar booth and spray on nitrogen, yes im spoiled... as far as paint goes you could talk to a paint rep about purchasing a variant deck so you could choose your variant and have the jobber mix it, or take gas lids to the jobber them self to match for you.

you say you work at a body shop why not purchase from the company ?

good luck
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:53 am
PainterDave wrote:i use to paint at home myself, been a long since ive done that... the only equipment i could recommend is a quality spray gun. my recommendations for other equipment would lack because all of mine is purchased for me. i get the best of everything so little to no research goes into what i purchase, i have a 200 thousand dollar booth and spray on nitrogen, yes im spoiled... as far as paint goes you could talk to a paint rep about purchasing a variant deck so you could choose your variant and have the jobber mix it, or take gas lids to the jobber them self to match for you.

you say you work at a body shop why not purchase from the company ?

good luck

Not sure which ways to go. I can try contacting PPG. Most of our paints only have the numbers on them so I would not know what tints I need. My work, is a family owned company. They do not want the body guys to do any type of side work at home at all. They want everything invoiced in their name. Load of BS. That's why I need some help getting started at home.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 am
Getting a mixing bank and computer at home is very expensive. When we do installs at shops the bill for toners, machine, computer and software is around $30k. Ppg deltron toners are about $14k, Envirobase is a bit more.

Your best bet is to just buy mixed paint as you go. Always get a part from the customer's car and take it to the jobber to get it chipped or scanned. Then do a spray out to make sure it matches.

You can always check Craigslist and ebay for used mixing banks. Computers are pretty basic, but the scale is expensive. The software requires a subscription for either internet or disk updates. Talk to your paint rep about getting an account set up and see if you can get a discount at all.

And you'll need to keep this very quiet from your current job if they feel like that.

Return to The Pro Shop!