Tips / Tricks for starting a business

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:05 pm
I've had my own shop for 5 yrs now and what everybody says here is more than true, and for me it does become hard to be a bodyman, a artist, and a business man all at the same time,, I feel I can do all, but time does become a issue when you juggle all of that, not to mention the other 2 business's that I have going on at the same time.. lol.. One of the big challenges to me is doing what can be done to keep the overhead down, heating electric, employee's is a big one, how efficient a tech is can have a very big impact on things. But in all reality it's all a challenge when you put it all together.

I would not tell anyone to not start their own shop, it's been a rewarding experience, and because of it I have had many good times, and also many bads. sometimes it reminds me of being on a rollercoaster as you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:58 pm
6hift,

Much belated but...

The old owner, works for me now. So adapting wasn't very difficult.
I recieved lots of help from various folks; from jobbers to other
shop owners. My shop rests on a 6500 s/ft lot, 1 paint booth, about
4 bays (plus 1 more for long term projects), 1 employee on pay roll,
2 other workers part time. Just your average small shop.

Chad S,

I'm sure i can relate to many of your issues. And like you, i enjoy the work
(for the most part) so it's a little bit easier. Yes, definitely a challenge:
emotionally, financially, physically, mentally...

I'm single, no kids, no life, just work and sleep for now. I have LOTS
of energy and enough enthusiasm/dedication to make things work.
I know you can relate.

:)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:30 pm
I plan on jumping in with two feet and a cain when I open up a boat shop.
Don't plan on getting married or having kids so Ill be dedicated to my work..whether I like it or not

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:33 pm
Han,

What do you do in terms of warranty issues about the work performed. Does the customer sign a release form stating warranty info. Do you happen to have an example of one laying around in the shop?

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:02 am
The owner of the body shop i work for (my friend) is soooo good at the whole autobody and paint stuff but **** he needs help in the business area (that's where I come in) but **** he barley lets me put in any input.

It pisses me off. How do I go about giving him firm suggestions without getting him mad or whatever.

Ehhh I guess I just felt like ranting. He just makes some really stupid mistakes sometimes....

:roll:
YARRR!!

The Bodyshop I work for (I made the site check it out!!)
(the new site should be up soon)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:54 am
Late again... don't check here too often.

6hift,

The warranty isn't written down but stated. I've maybe written it down
twice. And so far (past 2 plus years) i've done a few warranty jobs;
one was my own work and the others were that of the previous,
lazy ****, painter. And with the help of this site, i've avoided major
headaches.

ruffneck119,

Unless you have full access to his finances, understanding his
sittuation would be very difficult. Try starting a business of your
own and you'll likely see that it's more complicated, challenging,
and stressful then you've imagined. I've been in your shoes before
many times and made similar suggestions on improvements that
fell on def ears. Now i know why. Simple things aren't so simple,
give the man respect (if deserving) for what he has accomplished
so far with his limited brain power. Perhaps then he'll give you the time
of day.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:41 am
Very helpful stuff. I too am looking to open a business...only I come from the oppisite spectrum...I don't have much experience in the field yet, but I am a "businessmen" and have a degree is Business from a top University. Reading the above has instilled some confidence in me.

Thanks for the good info.

MARTINSR wrote:I'll give the best advice anyone can give you, take some BUSINESS courses!

I was a good bodyman, I was a good painter, I was a good people person and could work well with vendors, insurance reps, etc. But that is only the begining. A good bodyman makes does not mean he makes a good business man, it means he makes good repairs on cars, those are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS. I lasted 13 years of floundering in and out of making any money.

Most good bodymen who open body shops don't last, they end up working for someone again. They think because they know how to fix cars and that they own a few tools they can make a business. When actually, what they really have is the basis for working somewhere as an employee. And don't let anyone tell you the autobody repair business is so different from other businesses. Sales are sales, I don't care if it is a grocery store, a cat house or a body shop.

Take a number of business and economic courses and then think about starting a body shop business.

Brian

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:38 am
Taking business course here. My major is marketing and management. Hopefully I can put it to good use for opening a body shop. Hopefully i can apply what I learn in school. From what some people say indirectly I would need mre than an associates degree. Anyone else know about this, since i am new at the business courses? I will graduate with an associates. On the other hand alot of people with no schooling do well i been told. So I am confused.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:50 am
MARTINSR wrote:Waltherj, and I guess tossing a 20 year old into Humvee with a gun and dropping him in Iraq would be better than training him first?

No kidding, EDUCATION can not be replaced by on the job. Sure, on the job can not be replaced by a school either. But if you really want to get somewhere you get educated.

Brian

Training doesn't matter, training cant duplicate the kind of stress and problematic outcomes the real world delivers. Some shine, some don't.. Just how it goes

I disagree about the experience part, I think our educational system for the most part is a joke when it comes to college, there are exceptions but most people can't afford them.

If I were hiring, nothing replaces experience.. You can educate yourself threw a book or other reading material but nothing is better then experience.. Thats just a real world fact I've come to realize in my short time on this planet.. :)
knowledge is power, power is experience

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:17 am
[/quote]
If I were hiring, nothing replaces experience.. You can educate yourself threw a book or other reading material but nothing is better then experience.. Thats just a real world fact I've come to realize in my short time on this planet.. :)[/quote]

Therin lies the problem, if you're a bodyman wanting to start a business,
you have no experience at being a businessman.
So how else do you become a businessman without experience
other than schooling to help? 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)
PreviousNext

Return to The Pro Shop!