New Paint mixing system for small shop

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:30 am
Hey folks. Can anyone offer me some advise for jumping into buying a paint mixing system for our shop.

We spent about 4-6K a month on paint from our local shop.

I want to buy a system to mix most of our paint.
Sure I would like to save some $$$ but there are numerous reasons to add this to our shop besides a cost savings IMO.

Here are my question

1. What brand and system should I be looking at. We current use Axalta Cromax solvent based for 90% of our work.

2. Cost?? What is the start up cost for these systems?? Are there discounts?? Or are these hard numbers??

3. Any and all advise would be appreciated!! I am sure many of you have "if I knew then what I know now" advise.

Thanks all!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:26 pm
i don't know much, but i would contact the sales rep. for whatever brand you decide to use. he can give you the numbers then you can ponder over them and make a decision. i don't know what they do if a jobber caries Cromax is it protected? or can you use it also. have you ever thought about water base? my boys shop use's it and like it. they claim way less material, one coat of water base is like 3 of solvent base. works especially good with hard to cover colors. thats about what know, like i said not very much.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:29 pm
I use Axalta Cromax solvent, and have done for nearly 20 years.

I've looked at other systems but I've stuck with Cromax for the following reasons:

1. Inventory Cost
It is one of the few systems where you only need one set of tinters and can mix and match binders according to the needs of the job. So, you have a much lower cost of paint sitting on the shelf, instead of one set for base, another for 2K/Direct Gloss and more for different base systems (premium/acrylic/vinyl).

2. Space
One set of tinters takes up maybe a third of the floor space compared to other systems. Important in a small shop.

3. Flexibility
I have the choice of 3 base coat systems (more if I want to carry other binders) and 2 2K/Direct Gloss systems. So, if it's an easy colour I could use L400 or 610 but if it's a difficult colour I could use 6000. Or I can use the formula for 600 but use 610 binder to save money. Gives you some choice when doing jobs that are price/cost sensitive.

The Cromax L400 acrylic gives me the ability to do restorations in period correct paint. It's fully compatible with Axalta urethane clears or I can use their acrylic clear, which is unquestionably the best that I've ever used.

Binders are available even for vinyl/plastic paints. Gives me an edge over places that don't have paints like this in their range.

4. Quality
While there are other manufacturers out there who make good, cheap paint, only the majors supply consistent good quality across their price ranges.

5. Colour Support
A company which operates world wide has operations in many countries and every one of those has its own colour lab where they're developing variants. Small manufacturers have only a single variant for most colours, sometimes 2 or 3. For one Toyota silver I have more than 130 variants in my system. Result? Better, faster colour matches.

They also supply me with a spectrophotometer as part of the system. When the electronics died a few years ago they had a spare out to me within a day then returned my unit to Germany where it was fully rebuilt, all at no cost to me. Other manufacturers just can't offer those levels of support.

A few years ago the distributor and the rep just turned up one day and installed a brand new mixing rack, even though I already had an older one.
I have phone access to their lab in Sydney, only 300km away, for really difficult technical problems.

6. Technical Support and Training
I have a local distributor who's good but I also have an Axalta rep and a Tech Support guy for real problems if they occur. Smaller companies just don't have that level of support.

Training sessions are available, at no cost, for specific skills development and they're held regularly. On-site training is provided for simpler issues.

7. Warranty
I've had very few issues but, as an approved refinisher, they will support me with lifetime warranty.

8. Non-system paints
There are a few colours that are only available in water base or are on restricted supply. The local distributor will mix and match for me when I need these.

I can also access other Axalta paints, like Nason, for the odd occasions that I need those.

9. Local Delivery Support
My distributor is on the other side of Canberra but, if I need something urgently, will deliver within 30 minutes. Anything else I buy is delivered, same or next day, all free.

There are other shops that use the same system nearby. If the distributor can't get me something quickly they'll arrange a stock transfer from another shop which has some.

10. Other Products
Axalta offer a range of consumables, so I have the convenience of a one-stop shop, rather than having multiple suppliers. The distributor also carries non-Axalta products, making it even more convenient.

I know that at least one other major manufacturer has a comparable system, but I'll stick with Axalta.

Talk to your distributor about cost. I'm not sure what happens over there but shops do close here and systems can be picked up fairly cheap. Your distributor will know if shops are closing or you can just scan ads on Gumtree/Facebook etc. Usually if Axalta supply the whole system they'll do it at a significant discount - maybe 2/3 off normal pricing, on the condition that you buy from them for a time, usually 3 years. My distributor got me a system for $1500 with guaranteed minimum of 30% in every tin. Was pretty cheap at the time and included spectro, scales, and setup on a computer.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:13 pm
:goodpost: Now that's some good information right there. :goodpost:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:59 pm
Wow NFT5.
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation.

Well if it is good enough for you Cromax has to be good enough for me.

Thanks again.
God I love this forum.

Return to The Pro Shop!