Auto Body Training Workshops?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:32 pm
Hi,
I am thinking of starting to offer auto body training seminars geared at the hobbyist and restoration from my home workshop.
I am trying to get a feel for the market before I start offering them. I am thinking to start with 2-3 day worksops - welding, fixing dents, rust, paint...
What do you think? Is this a service you would be interested in paying for if it was available?
Thanks for your opinion.
Derek

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:14 pm
I have thought of this very thing. I think marketing the idea is going to be one of the hardest parts. That and the fact that very few people who could afford it will be willing to take time off from their reg job to go to it.

But I'll bet there are plenty of people who can and would.

All I know is this, classes for metal working has taken off like wild fire. There are lots of people who want to learn new stuff. Back a number of years ago I was talking to Ron Covell ( http://www.covell.biz/ ) just after he had started having these classes and he said it was the best idea he ever had.

But again, the marketing is going to cost ya.

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:59 pm
I would think that in order to be successful you would have to be located near a large city. I say this because you need to draw enough customers to have a continuing business. I live in a rather small community (pop. 14,000) and even the Community College in the nearby town (pop. 200,000) quit offering auto body classes due to lack of interest coupled with the expense of saftey requirements.
You would also have to demonstrate a very high level of knowledge and skill in the areas you intend to teach. People that are going to spend time and money on classes like these will do some research before signing on. This is how I discovered this web site.
Personally, I have entertained the thought of volunteering some of my time at a local body shop to gain hands on experience and one on one training.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:05 pm
MARTINSR wrote: All I know is this, classes for metal working has taken off like wild fire. There are lots of people who want to learn new stuff.

Brian

My personal experience with welding body panels and patches has led me to think about taking such classes. Every now and then the welds and the hammer work come out so nice that I think, "Gee, maybe I could learn metal working." Of course the next section of spot welds brings me back to the cruel reality of my skill level. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:52 am
Hi,
Yes, welding is key and is definitely something that some of the basics can be taught by a pro over a few days, of course practice makes perfect!The seminars wold be taught be experienced professionals who have years of experience both working in shops and teaching to provide the best student experience. Safety has to be #1, you can't enjoy the hobby if you are injured. All safety gear would be provided. You could volunteer but they might not have the time to teach you, they are working for customers. You would pay a teacher to teach you. Thanks for your opinion!
Cheers,
Derek

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:07 am
Hi Brian (martinsr)
I agree, the marketing will be key, while I think there are people interested, there are not alot of these courses out there so you sort of have to create the demand or awareness. I hear you about taking time off work, this is why I was initially thinking Fri/Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun.
Thanks,
Derek

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:18 am
Hi Derek,

If you have, and can teach a skill that people are passionate about learning, you might make a go of it. Someone like Brian who has spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours teaching for free will have at least a small built in group who would attend his classes because of his generosity, skill, and teaching style.

I teach metal shaping and dent repair classes in a small town of about 600 people and have no problem getting small groups to travel for them. One guy recently drove a two thousand mile round trip to spend the weekend banging on metal which amazed me. It helps that I have been contributing on various forums for years, and have built up a reputaion of being an opinionated bastard. It also helps that I own a small motel that people can stay at.

Organization, logistics and the extra expenses of travel are a factor. The size of your class and how much you can actually get done in a weekend matter as well. Are your classes more lecture than hands-on, or a nice blend of both?

Consider starting out with one on one lessons to get a feel for what people need to learn and how best to teach them. You will develop your own style without the pressure of performing for a group right away. Do not expect to make a living teaching!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:47 am
Hey, thanks for the kind words John. :D

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Great to hear so much positive response. What topics would you be most interested in?
We are working on the business plan and hope to open summer 2007. We are in Squamish, just 45 minutes north of Vancouver. Anybody interested in more info can send me their contact info at [email protected]
Thanks,
Derek

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:30 am
dear dgagne,

Its good idea.... great business , I wish you all the best
Next

Return to The Pro Shop!