Aluminum flat bottem boat, any suggestions?

A place for professionals to network and discuss the business and technology inside the shop.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:54 pm
I got hit by a pontoon in Sept 05. The rolled edge on the gunwale got creased (if you will) and pushed in.

I realize that heating it will not show like steel and turn red. I am concerned that if I were to straiten it, it would break aluminum cracks (hairline ish).

I would like to get the groove out of the rolled edge and straiten the gunwale.

What could I do to fill the gouge? I thought of bondo type but it would not hold. I would appreciate any tips or advice. Best way to get the gunwale straight?

Pictures below-
Light damage on the front left but that I am not concerned about, it is the larger "wound".

Side view. I would like to fill this or try to make it factory looking.

Thanks-

astcompressors.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:26 pm
nobody has any suggestions?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:43 pm
I would pull it out with a come-along or similar device, drill a hole through the center of the dent if necessary. Fill in your boats body using Marglass or another brand of fiberglass reinforced body filler. Don't use normal body filler as it is not waterproof.

You're right about heating the aluminum... don't do it. Aluminum will soften after heat has been applied and the material has cooled down. It essentially takes away the heat treating the raw aluminum sheet went through at the manufacturing facility.

Return to The Pro Shop!