I can't get a bodyshop to call me back...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 pm
Hi all, hopefully you guys can shed some light on what I'm dealing with. I'll just get right into it. I have an 03 Subaru Outback with 204k that's getting real old and tired. A used motor in my area for it is over $2k. So I found a, runs and drives, salvage 01 Outback with 136k at Copart for $1200. Went into it hoping for the best that the body damage could just be fixed, or worst case scenario, pull the motor for my 03 (I'm a writer at a garage).

When I picked the car up, I was pleasantly surprised. The damage looked worse in the pictures (to my untrained eye at least). So I got it back to my shop, and called a local body shop we refer to, asked if someone could stop by when convenient to check it out and give me an estimate. Sure enough the owner of the shop himself came out, looked it over, said its fixable, and that he'll call me with a number. 1 week, no call. I call, they say waiting for parts prices...(i know that line). Another week, no call. I call, he's not here I'll have him call you when he gets back. 2 weeks later, still nothing, I tap.

One week ago I called body shop #2. Guy comes by the next morning, same routine. I call today asking for an update. His response..."I lost the vin" Why didn't you call me and ask??? He also never sent the pictures to his frame guy, claimed he would do it right then.

I'm getting the feeling no one will take this job, but they just won't say it. Foolish, all I want is a price so I know where I stand....give the shop my car and credit card and say do it, or have one of my guys swap the motor out, or third option learn how to do some body work myself lol. I'm including some pictures to give you as best a look at it as I can. I did put it in the air, the underside is totally unaffected.

So. I guess what I am asking is, does this look fixable? If so, how, ballpark how much or at least how many hours so I can gauge it? I've sourced a door and fender for $300, should be the only parts needed.

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by KyRoPracter on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 am
You're going to have to find a different photo host, or see my signature below to put the pictures up here.

Hard to say what's going on. Generally these shops won't take a job if (a) they detect you are going to be a "problem customer" - sometimes all it takes is asking too many questions and they get squirrely over it. Or (b) they don't want to admit that the car is going to take too much of their time away from insurance jobs where they can make 2x the amount of profit.

Have you tried asking them why they don't want to do the job?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:11 pm
Ah crap, didn't realize photobucket doesnt do that anymore. I'll resize them when I get home from work.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm
Well, gotta love murphys law, sure enough body shop #2 called me this afternoon and put me in touch with their frame guy, who I've only been hearing great things about. And it's looking like I'll be getting this taken care of for under $500, not including parts/paint I'm taking care of those.

But if anyone is curious, here are the pictures I attempted to post earlier...

0425181743_HDR.jpg

0425181743a_HDR.jpg

0425181744_HDR.jpg

0425181744a_HDR.jpg

0425181744b_HDR.jpg

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:27 pm
0425181745_HDR.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:52 am
Good deal if he roughs out all the major dents