Aluminum paint stripper

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm
Would like to strip the paint from my 63 plymouth that has the lightweight fenders and hood. Anyone done that and what did you use? Some people in the aircraft industry say that aluminum front end may be too thin.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 pm
How would stripping (well, I mean unless you are using a caustic style stripper ie..sodium hydroxide, etc.) affect the aluminum? A simple aircraft style stripper (gallon can or spray aerosol) is just going to be methylene chloride as the active stripping agent, simple alcohols, and usually a neutral activator. Put it on, throw on some wax paper or saran wrap so it doesn't evaporate and you should be good. Let the chemistry do the work. Make sure and follow the instructions, especially for neutralizing.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 pm
:goodpost: I've used the Aircraft striper on aluminum a lot and never had problems. in fact I'm going to buy a gal today to do some aluminum wheels I have that have been painted.
please post some pictures of that bad boy. I use to have a 63 Sport Fury my last year of high school. 426 wedge with duel fours, cam, headers and a 4spd. posi, what a tire burner.

Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:38 pm
Man, wedges.....I miss those days....Oh, and before I forget about it....if you have to do some minor scrape work with the stripper use a plastic scraper. I keep my wife's old non-stick spatulas when she throws them out. Next to the stripper displays they will also have chem. proof scrapers as well.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:34 pm
DarrelK wrote:if you have to do some minor scrape work with the stripper use a plastic scraper.

What is the reason for that, Darrel? I have been using metal.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:51 pm
you would gouge and scratch the soft aluminum front clip on that particular car, quite rare. plastic should work good just a little slower maybe.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 pm
You really have to watch using metal scrapers when stripping any of that softer aluminum. If you slip with a steel scraper you can punch a hole right through it or as Jay said at least put a nasty gouge in it. In our wood and metal restoration biz we use NO type of metal scrapers on anything. We do use a variety of plastic tools, brushes, etc., including brass bristle brushes and a few stainless steel brushes.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:09 am
Ah Ha I ignored the subject of the conversation, thanks.

Return to Body and Paint