waterborne for a restoration?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 pm
Hello, I have used the search to read what I could find on water vs solvent based. I am a first time painter doing a complete car ('74 Toyota). I've done the metal/body work and have done all the prime/blocking to 600 wet so far. I have a friend pushing me toward waterborne as that is what he sprayed for a couple years at a collision shop. I have read about water being better for repairs on modern cars but sticking with solvents for completes or restoration work. Is there a reason for using one vs the other in my situation of new painter, one gun (Finish Line 4), nearly no experience, complete job? Thanks, 1

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm
water is actually easier to spray, but if you screw up solvent is easier to fix. stick with solvent
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:20 pm
PainterDave wrote:water is actually easier to spray, but if you screw up solvent is easier to fix. stick with solvent

Hey PD, could you explain why solvent is easier to fix? Is that before or after clearing? Both?

The one time that I sprayed PPG Envirobase (waterbourne) I loved it as it was stinking hot and dry when I shot it. It took me a bit to get no tiger striping (that was me being a rookie), but I ended up pulling the gun away from the surface more than I was used to.

The material was a little (lot?) pricey but very nice to shoot once I got the hang of it.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
PainterDave wrote:water is actually easier to spray, but if you screw up solvent is easier to fix. stick with solvent

Hey PD, could you explain why solvent is easier to fix? Is that before or after clearing? Both?

The one time that I sprayed PPG Envirobase (waterbourne) I loved it as it was stinking hot and dry when I shot it. It took me a bit to get no tiger striping (that was me being a rookie), but I ended up pulling the gun away from the surface more than I was used to.

The material was a little (lot?) pricey but very nice to shoot once I got the hang of it.

Can only speak for myself here, but it seems to tear easy if you need to dust nib, or fix a missed pinhole.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint