Satin matte clearcoat to hide imperfections

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 pm
FB_IMG_1533780311079.jpg
Ok, here's what I have and what I want to do. My car is painted with a GM color. Its early 80s Cadillac color, Medium Garnet Red. Its PPG DBC paint with a nice shiny clearcoat. This paint is a pearl metallic. The doors were painted off of the car and do not reflect the light like the rest of the car. I assume that the metallic portion of the paint layed down more than the rest so the light refraction is less. There is also another area that is less than attractive in low light. I want to switch to a satin matte clearcoat. What do I need to do? Will the matte even out the color due to lessening the refractiveness of the metallic? Or do I need to repaint the whole car with a different kind of paint? Thanks in advance .

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 pm
So the point of doing the matte thing here is to help disguise/hide the problems with the first shoot on the car, right? Just an opinion here... I work with dead flats to ultra high gloss every day with high end furniture. If color or "effect" is off or not consistent on a surface many time going flatter might not only NOT make it "better" but it could look even worse. I think just trying to change your gloss here may not get you where you want..... others will chime in here on this....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:41 am
im not the brightest but i can see the difference in that picture without a whole lot of light on it. with that, i dont know how the sheen will hide it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:54 am
^^^^^^^^^^^exactly.........
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:58 am
My cold hard advice...

the questions you ask lead me to assume you're in the novice area for painting.

Matte finishes are not for the beginner.
Matte finishes ARE very hard to care for. Factory matte finishes are not the same as we paint in a booth.

you are likely to blotch the matte finish.

maybe sanding with 800/1000 rebasing the car while together and some fresh clear is a better idea
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:43 pm
:goodpost:

Agree 100%.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:43 pm
I agree also, your going to do all the same labor to spray the mat clear as you would to base and clear other than the base color and that's easy. I also think you'll end up with a dark shaded mat color and a light shaded mat color.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint