etch/epoxy

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:47 am
Hi Guy's I have recently acquired a kombi camper that looks to have been sand blasted in a lot of large areas, it has primer on it in these spots. My question is how could I tell if it is Epoxy or etch? The Primer looks to be much darker than what I have previously seen etch to be. I am "presuming" it is etc but thought it best to make sure. For most of the van it will be sanded off and painted with epoxy but to do this to the underside of the floor etc. will be a very unpleasant job , hence my question. Thanks very much for reading

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm
i can't tell you much, but here in the states most sandblasting places will primer with epoxy. its just a guess but i would think lacquer thinner will remove Etch, but won't remove epoxy. take a rag wet with lacquer thinner and wipe the coating good and see what happens. if you've been around this stuff a long time you can usually tell by the smell of it when sanded.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:30 pm
badsix wrote:if you've been around this stuff a long time you can usually tell by the smell of it when sanded.
Jay D.
Not a s much when I sanded it but my first experience with epoxy primer was a much different smell than the 1K primer I usually used from a rattle can. Not exact but kinda a fishy smell--maybe it was just the brand but it wasn't pleasant at all. Sanded out fine and the job came out like glass after the base and several layers of clear.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:27 am
I had a 50 yr old aluminum boat that I originally repainted with etch primer& urethane
then years later repainted with epoxy primer & urethane.
When I wanted to repaint it for a third time I used stripper to get it all off.
Everything including the epoxy came off easily, but the etch primer
wasn't even disturbed. And it was a 1K etch.
I always use epoxy these days but can't help to remember the etch
being so much stronger on that boat. I had to sand it off.
I think we underestimate etch primer because of epoxy being used so much.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:51 am
:goodpost: i'm with you i like etch its always worked good for me, epoxy has to. it just depends on where you want to use them.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint