Matrix Or PPG Omni?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 pm
Hi Guys,

Quick question about which one is better--Matrix or Omni. I have not heard a lot of good things about Omni--bargain paint at best. Having said that, my local Carquest sells only that line and for my first 15 or so jobs, I have always used that and to be honest, they have come out great. Maybe I didn't knw any better (??). Now keep in mind, I am just doing bike jobs and far from the level that all you guys are at. Recently, needling to match some Harley and Suzuki colors, I have needed to go to another supplier to get those codes and they use Matrix. These jobs look good also. Pricing is similar and am wondering if I should "jump ship" and use Matrix for most of my work. I'm getting wholesale pricing at both shops and have a good relationship at both stores so I would not be burning bridges either way. Thoughts??

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:18 am
Automotive Art Motobase LV
The other two are junk in my opinion.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:34 am
Rebel Racing wrote:Hi Guys,

Quick question about which one is better--Matrix or Omni. I have not heard a lot of good things about Omni--bargain paint at best. Having said that, my local Carquest sells only that line and for my first 15 or so jobs, I have always used that and to be honest, they have come out great. Maybe I didn't knw any better (??). Now keep in mind, I am just doing bike jobs and far from the level that all you guys are at. Recently, needling to match some Harley and Suzuki colors, I have needed to go to another supplier to get those codes and they use Matrix. These jobs look good also. Pricing is similar and am wondering if I should "jump ship" and use Matrix for most of my work. I'm getting wholesale pricing at both shops and have a good relationship at both stores so I would not be burning bridges either way. Thoughts??

Either one is fine as long as the color matches are working for you.

their clears however are not really up to par. use good clear. something like DCU2021 over them. also add your 5% hardener to any basecoat. I usually just use whatever hardener I'm going to use in my clear to keep it simple.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:15 pm
PainterDave wrote:

their clears however are not really up to par. use good clear. something like DCU2021 over them. also add your 5% hardener to any basecoat. I usually just use whatever hardener I'm going to use in my clear to keep it simple.
So far I have been able to match most of the requests either with Omni or Matrix. I'm curious about the hardener in the base--I have never done that. Is it for durability only?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:39 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:

So far I have been able to match most of the requests either with Omni or Matrix. I'm curious about the hardener in the base--I have never done that. Is it for durability only?

the short answer is yes
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:48 am
I believe the Omni and Shopline are the same product, just different names depending on whether the paint supplier is an exclusive PPG paint supplier or not. I've used both lines, Matrix and Shopline/Omni and both worked fine for me. The Matrix High Solids MS42 came out nice as well. Also note, some colors are not in all data bases so you may have to choose the paint line that you can actually get the color in. Matrix is a relatively newer company compared to PPG, so older colors may not be in their system. In the PPG line ups, some colors may be available in their Deltron line but not their Shopline/Omni line and vise versa.

This car was shot with PPG Shopline JB base with Matrix MS42 Clear below:
Attachments
Lenny-Bs-1968-Coupe.jpg

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:39 pm
Lenny B wrote:I believe the Omni and Shopline are the same product, just different names depending on whether the paint supplier is an exclusive PPG paint supplier or not.
O.K., good to know. Beautiful '68 (?) in the pic! We have a'68 Vert. 347,T5Z we do cruise nights and non judged shows.

Return to Body and Paint