Rustoleum Masstone Gloss Tint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:41 am
NightTrain wrote:
Olds9885 wrote:..........It's one of those "anything will look better than what it is" jobs. I would be satisfied with a decent paint job coupled with just having some fun with it. If you know of any good DIY cheaper end products you could recommend to achieve the pigment/basecoat mixing I'm trying to achieve, I'm all ears. I'm just trying to be weary of getting too much into this for a one time project, and one thing I do know about autobody is that the price of pro grade products can stack up fast. I'm also the type of person to get too invested once I allow myself to throw serious money around, and I am avoiding that at all costs.

If you're just wanting the car repainted, you can sand and prep it and then take it
to the local Earl Shwab or equivalent to get it sprayed.

If you really want to DIY and have a spray gun, then do as suggested and pick up
some inexpensive automotive paint. The Rustoleum Masstone is a water-based
enamel intended for industrial use and won't hold up long enough on a car to
make it worthwhile....

Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any lower cost auto paints you know of? I'm not that familiar with brands out there.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:43 am
DarrelK wrote:What Chopolds said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And that my friend is how I learned to paint with modern paints on the cheap. I got to know the husband and wife owners at my local PPG jobber. I was buying sandpaper for my wood shop from them and the wife had seen my work on furniture. She said one day, "Why the hell aren't you painting cars?" She went back and got me an arm full of single stage urethanes, some bases, etc. She explained the colors were off enough not to sell a full price. She gave them to me at half price and before I got out the door threw 3 more cans in for free. I was off to the races......
And Doright has very valid points there. I still think paint is kind of cheap in this hobby WHEN you compare it to all the rest of the stuff that is needed to actually spray it. Not saying you can't go somewhat on the cheap there to but you'll pay the price with picking up bad habits and coatings that look like crap UNTIL you get into better stuff.....
Personally, I'd go single stage solid colors probably with a gun in the $100 to $200 range and a decent 5 to 7 h.p. 60 to 80 gallon used compressor.

I'll look into single stage. I've been reading more about it and see it get mentioned a lot for simplicity.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:53 pm
Single stage urethane can really look great....in fact with historical and more "authentic" restoration work it is preferred with some colors. Keep it in solid colors to learn to work with it. Metallics become tricky as you can't just do a hard cut and buff on them.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:02 am
Olds9885 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any lower cost auto paints you know of? I'm not that familiar with brands out there.

folks here are prolly gonna start the crucifixtion routine when i mention these brands to look into for low cost. :happy: :knockout:
TCP global
kirker
eastwood.

stick with solid colors with single stage.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 pm
:goodpost: no crucifixion. might look in to Nasons S/S urathane also. they might be a little more expensive, but you'll be glad you did.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:25 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any lower cost auto paints you know of? I'm not that familiar with brands out there.[/quote]

What do you consider to be "low cost"?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:53 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any lower cost auto paints you know of? I'm not that familiar with brands out there.

What do you consider to be "low cost"?[/quote]

Think I would say my budget is around 200 more or less.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:59 am
tomsteve wrote:
Olds9885 wrote:

folks here are prolly gonna start the crucifixtion routine when i mention these brands to look into for low cost. :happy: :knockout:
TCP global
kirker
eastwood.

stick with solid colors with single stage.

Couldn't imagine it's much riskier than someone asking to paint a car with Rustoleum on an autobody forum lol. But seriously, you guys have been really helpful and inviting. Thanks for the suggestions.

What is your opinion on Speedokote products? I've been seeing their products at places like Amazon and people seem to like them. Seems really affordable too for what you get.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:56 am
badsix wrote::goodpost: no crucifixion. might look in to Nasons S/S urathane also. they might be a little more expensive, but you'll be glad you did.
Jay D.

I have come across some of their products and have heard good things. It's definitely an option I'm considering.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:29 am
Olds9885 wrote:
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Are there any lower cost auto paints you know of? I'm not that familiar with brands out there.

What do you consider to be "low cost"?

Think I would say my budget is around 200 more or less.[/quote]

What exactly are you painting that you care so little about? $200 wouldn't cover the primer costs on a vehicle.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint