GM A Body fender alignment

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:30 pm
All,

My passenger fender sits way higher than my door, and there are no shims under the top bolt. I can move the door up a bit, but not enough to get the door and fender to align.

Any ideas?

The car is a 1969 Buick GS

thanks,
James

Psngr Fender_Door_Gap.jpg

Psngr Fender_Door_Gap.jpg
Attachments
Psngr Fender_Door_No Shim.jpg
Psngr Door_Fender.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:43 pm
i did a 67 for a friend several years ago and had the same problem. i think mine was maybe lightly bumped in the front at one time. i can't remember exacly but i did cut the top mount off and reweld it up a little higher. but there's more to it, the part i don't remember. you may need to modify the inner fender panel also. the only way is to cut and weld it so it fits its quite involved as the hood is connected to the fender IF you hood and fender fit ok then just lower all of it.
ebay 1 927 - Copy.jpg
ebay 1 768.jpg
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:50 am
I was thinking that may be my only option, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some other way to adjust. My hood and fender seem to align OK.

thanks for the reply, your paint looks good!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:36 am
Hard to see in the pics, but does the bottom gap look closer than the top gap? Door to fender?
I did a GS convert. that I had to shim up the front support, quite a bit, probably due to frame sag. But both sides have to have this same issue, for you to do that.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:34 am
chopolds wrote:Hard to see in the pics, but does the bottom gap look closer than the top gap? Door to fender?
I did a GS convert. that I had to shim up the front support, quite a bit, probably due to frame sag. But both sides have to have this same issue, for you to do that.

looking at your pictures it does look like your closer at the bottom gap than at the top. you might try what Chopolds is talking about, shim the core support up and see what happens. you need to get that gap correct before you do anything else.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint