flat clear question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm
Number of years ago I shot a 1992 Dodge dually diesel a flat black. I really liked the look but didn't like the maintenance of flat finishes. I am now doing the same to a 78 GMC square body. What are the thoughts of using a flat clear coat to make (hopefully) maintenance a bit less tedious?
If you're asking for my advice, I assume you have run out of all logical options.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:44 pm
The ONLY matte clear I would consider as normal maintenance/wear/tear product would be Tamco's matte clear. It is essentially their 2104 high build clear with a very unique flattening compound blended througout it. You would know the difference when you even open the can. You can see the flattening agent blended right in from the top of the can to the bottom with NO settling out. They use a silica as that agent which is similar to a product we use in high end museum restoration with furniture. Here is a link.....
https://tamcopaint.com/products/matte-clearcoat
Okay, so what is it like in day to day use. We are coming up on almost 2 years since I completed my truck conversion. I drive it about 8000 miles or so 2 to 3 days a week all year round. It has shown no signs of chipping, delaming, or just about anything. I do use Dr. Beasly's Matte sealer on it about once every 4 months or so with no washing at all in between. I just wipe it down with a matte detailer every couple of weeks and that's about it.
I'll put up the most current pic. I have of it here and also the pic. of just after we shot.... I'm telling there are just no signs of wear/tear/color shifting, etc....
Attachments
IMG_20200821_132511922_HDR.jpg
This was just after shooting....
IMG_20220521_100830492_HDR.jpg
This was at our local Founder's Day Parade last Saturday.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 pm
there is only one matte clear i would use on a complete, PPG Global D8115

You can denib between coats, very even finish easily achieved by most people,

Dr. Beasly's Matte sealer is also what id recommend
Attachments
IMG_1436.JPG
16.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:33 am
:flatten: Thanks for the import. Apologies for not responding faster but had a mishap and now just getting back into the game and the build. Life can be a pain sometimes. Thanks again. :flatten:
If you're asking for my advice, I assume you have run out of all logical options.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:09 pm
PainterDave wrote:there is only one matte clear i would use on a complete, PPG Global D8115

At the risk of sounding really dumb.....I could shoot my regular PPG base and then use the D8115 as my clear to give a matt finish--no special base required? I know the TDS would tell me the answer but it sounds like an option for matt jobs that I have turned down in the past.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:28 pm
DarrelK wrote:The ONLY matte clear I would consider as normal maintenance/wear/tear product would be Tamco's matte clear. It is essentially their 2104 high build clear with a very unique flattening compound blended througout it. You would know the difference when you even open the can....

Darrel, I am surprised how well your Tamco matte came out. When I tried it, it just didn't produce much of a matte finish and I went back to using some cheap "The Coatings Store" stuff for when I spray mattes, which is mostly on interior pieces for my Caddy.

* Maybe I just got a bad batch or I did something wrong???

I pretty much use mostly Tamco products other than some Envirobase stuff on my little projects. It would be nice to get the Matte clear from them also.

As far as PD's stuff;
A) He ain't paying the materials bill
B) He's just showing off again - though I don't blame him!!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:52 pm
Honestly, when we shoot it I am even surprised at how well it lays out. We do 3 coats of it and that last coat feels like velvet. Something that might be of positive influence on it may be the use of our turbine sprayers. The wide body pictured here was shot with a 6 stage unit and we always use slowest drying mix. When you sight down the side of this truck it is a razor sharp even flatness that just kind of glows. I continue to think the reason we get such unusual slow changes in our flop is the eveness of that clear. The coating is also very hydrophobic shedding water easily and pulling micro dust with it. I've gone through downpours and it takes me just minutes with a hand matt detailer to clean the truck up....
Attachments
Week 11 f.jpg
The large noses on these Chargers can be difficult to get even as well...
Week 11 c.jpg
Take a look down this side at how even this sheen is......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:59 am
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:there is only one matte clear i would use on a complete, PPG Global D8115

At the risk of sounding really dumb.....I could shoot my regular PPG base and then use the D8115 as my clear to give a matt finish--no special base required? I know the TDS would tell me the answer but it sounds like an option for matt jobs that I have turned down in the past.

Correct sir

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:00 am
OldFatBald wrote:
DarrelK wrote:The ONLY matte clear I would consider as normal maintenance/wear/tear product would be Tamco's matte clear. It is essentially their 2104 high build clear with a very unique flattening compound blended througout it. You would know the difference when you even open the can....

Darrel, I am surprised how well your Tamco matte came out. When I tried it, it just didn't produce much of a matte finish and I went back to using some cheap "The Coatings Store" stuff for when I spray mattes, which is mostly on interior pieces for my Caddy.

* Maybe I just got a bad batch or I did something wrong???

I pretty much use mostly Tamco products other than some Envirobase stuff on my little projects. It would be nice to get the Matte clear from them also.

As far as PD's stuff;
A) He ain't paying the materials bill ( OFB you are correct)
B) He's just showing off again - though I don't blame him!!
OFB Correct again :rotfl:

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:03 am
i have always felt this logo shouldve been matte