Panels on or off for base/clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:05 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
Ahajmano wrote:I have the Eastwood Malibu Sunset (metallic Orange) and will also be debating this same consideration. I'm still a few months away as I just finished the engine bay and moving onto the interior.

My biggest hesitation to do the final base-clear with all body panels on is timing. My cups feeding the Iwata are only around 20-oz of paint. To do the full car, I expect that to be at least four 20-oz cups of base and clear. That's eight rounds of mixing, loading, etc. If my engine bay was any indication, this process will take hours which is very difficult to do in one-go. Would love to hear some tips on how to break the car exterior in pieces without inconsistency in the finish.

On larger jobs, I will mix up two or three 24 ounce cups at a time. Just keep them covered until needed, then give them a good stirring before running through the strainer into the paint gun.

Thats a great Idea! I have those sealable, disposable paint cups from Harbor Freight, so I will mix several cups next time and just swap them in. Great tip!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:30 am
I cut the lids off the tins that clear or hardener comes in. Give them a wash and you have a perfect container for mixing larger quantities. I like the rectangular ones best because they pour nicely from the corners. Take that into the booth with you, together with a strainer and mixing stick. You can reload a pot in less than 30 seconds.

On the panels on or off question, I like to do vertical panels (guards, doors, quarters etc.) on the car so there will be no difference across any joins. Bonnets and bootlids I prefer to do off the car so I can walk around and reach easily. If you have a tilting bonnet stand you can do inside and outside at the same time.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:45 pm
NFT5 wrote:I cut the lids off the tins that clear or hardener comes in. Give them a wash and you have a perfect container for mixing larger quantities. I like the rectangular ones best because they pour nicely from the corners. Take that into the booth with you, together with a strainer and mixing stick. You can reload a pot in less than 30 seconds.

On the panels on or off question, I like to do vertical panels (guards, doors, quarters etc.) on the car so there will be no difference across any joins. Bonnets and bootlids I prefer to do off the car so I can walk around and reach easily. If you have a tilting bonnet stand you can do inside and outside at the same time.

makes sense! Does anyone know if there is a thinner that will inhibit epoxy from hardening? If not, maybe that is something I will have to do panel-by-panel. Since its pretty thick, it goes through my gun pretty quickly, and its definitely a mess/effort to mix a new batch. wish it didn't only come in cylindrical paint cans. The rectangular vertical vessels are much easier to pour, especially with a spout adapter.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint