Tiger striping on horizontal surface?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:32 am
Hello looking for some advice. I'm getting ready to paint the Lincoln so I've been practicing on some old panels and cardboard. I have the the gun dialed in fairly well and can spray a vertical surface well. Seems like when ever I spray a large horizontal surface like a hood or roof I get some striping.

My thought is that when I try to stretch out I'm not keeping the gun parallel to the surface? Is this the most likely reason for striping? Any tips on how to remedy this other than practice. Thinking maybe get myself up higher... Like a small step ladder so that it's easier to not tilt the gun back?

Using an Eastwood metallic copper paint with 10% reducer, medium temp activator. Spray gun is Eastwood's mid priced gun with a 1.3 nozzle. Temp around 80.

Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:30 am
is the product your useing a base coat or s.s.? this is typical, gun orientation is critical. one has a tendency to not get the gun parallel to the surface, and applying to wet or heavy typical on horizontal surfaces. one fix is if you see striping in your finish on the last coat. wait a couple minutes then hold the gun back 20" or so and apply a light mist coat, don't try and put it on heavy just a light mist it may take a couple. wait time before you do this on S/S should be a bit longer and shorter with base coat. you might also try just a tad more reducer, your mid temp activator is probably at its limits at 80* don't feel bad you're spraying the worst of the worst for anyone.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:50 am
Copper is right up there with the silvers when it comes to this problem. And yes, pretend you are a robot when it comes to repeatable strokes with your gun. With 80 you could move on into the next temp. range.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:06 am
Putting it on to wet is the most common reason,
it's natural to apply more when it's horizontal.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:42 pm
Just keep practicing. Look up that Jon Kosmoski Camaro painting video on YouTube. "Think like a robot" "Where am I looking, not at the ceiling" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10xfzZ7-0MA

I had to do my Caddy's trunk lid three times I think because I kept getting tiger stripes. One thing that I did learn was that using good paint helps. I have found that I can shoot water based PPG Envirobase, Tamco's custom pearl mixes and HOK stuff MUCH easier than some of the other cheaper (initial buy in price) paints. The Envirobase shoots so much easier than their cheaper Omni line for me and they are both PPG.

I really have to concentrate and not let my mind wander when I am doing horizontal surfaces as I am a weekender rookie and it isn't natural to me. Though I am good at sanding off my screw ups. It is kind of like Instagram, the key is just posting the good photos!!!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:01 pm
Thanks guys... Forgot to mention working with base and clear.Guess I really need to practice my technique. May also go up a temp with the activator.

Now that I think about it I probably trying to put it on too heavy. I saw the stripes and slowed down and got a little closer. Thinking I could cover them up but made it worse instead.

Like that misting trick. I read about but wasn't exactly sure how to do it.

Thanks for the advice will be giving it another try this weekend if it's not too humid.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:23 pm
I am just a bit ahead of you in the learning curve. Who would have thought there was so much involved. Made all the mistakes and keep learning new things not to do or avoid as I progress. There are a few things I learned the hard way. Preparation is crucial to a successful paint job. Even after using the best practices I thought were going to work, I learned my wife was putting fabric softener in when drying my micro fiber towels. The same towels I was using to try and remove all the contaminants from the panel.

The other thing I learned is about lighting or lack of it in my case. You can’t have enough (maybe you can but I need more). This will help you see some of the issues you are having as you are spraying. Hopefully you can stop when you see them and make corrections. I am still working on stopping and fixing a problem rather than just trying to spray over it pr thinking I can buff it out.

WTF, I get sore just thinking about all the sanding.

Ted

Return to Body and Paint