epoxy primer vs filler primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:31 am
I just completed sanding down all the areas of a truck's roof and corner pillars after discovering rust while the windshield was taken out. I finished masking off and applied a filler primer and yet just today found the same shop sells 2K epoxy primer. I plan on finishing the work with a water-based PU base and 2K lacquer clear. I am trying to maximize time before needing to repaint and would like to know how far superior epoxy primer would be.

I understand primer can generally be applied over existing paint if properly sanded / prepped. Would epoxy primer provide any benefit over the existing primer, or only if sanded toward bare metal?

Or should I just go with what I have and not worry about it?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:26 am
Epoxy primer is the only one that is really water proof.
Also, it maximizes adhesion, since I started doing all my
bumpers with epoxy primer the road rash dropped 90%
so that's why I use it.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:34 pm
Yeah, I'd agree with all of that^^^^^^^^^^^^ also the reason that epoxy is such a "waterproof" wall against moisture is the same thing that allows it to be a wall against air/oxygen penetration. Rust cannot continue to evolve without air/oxygen.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 am
I would remove the filler primer first.
Epoxy primer functions best when applied directly to bare metal. You can put filler or build primer over the epoxy.

It is always best to remove the rust. Media blasting works best for pitted areas.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint