color change quesion

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:08 pm
i use wax and grease remover just because. but like JC i also wash it with dawn soap to remove the W/G remover residue. over kill ? maybe but i have very few if any problems. it helps me sleep at night knowing i went all the way. :rotfl:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:09 am
badsix wrote:i use wax and grease remover just because. but like JC i also wash it with dawn soap to remove the W/G remover residue. over kill ? maybe but i have very few if any problems. it helps me sleep at night knowing i went all the way. :rotfl:
Jay D.

I have used Dawn dish soap for years now, washing the vehicle inside and out to remove grime and contaminants, prior to stripping and after stripping. However, like above, I use solvent based Wax and Grease remover prior to primers and paint.

The trick with W/G remover to wear gloves and to put some in a spray bottle, wet a section of a panel and then immediately wipe it off with a clean shop towel. Repeat the process until the wiping cloth comes up clean. Once the entire area you plan to paint is clean, let it sit while you get your painting supplies and gear ready, so it can flash off. Depending on the temperature it could take up to 30 minutes. Here in Arizona it's about 10 minutes.

Just prior to paint, I will usually blow the panel off with compressed air.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:02 pm
:goodpost: thats exacly what i do. i meant to say that in my above post it just didn't come out that way :whoops:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:42 am
No Dawn dishwashing liquid here. But it used to be a brand of toilet paper. Standard juvenile joke was "What happens when dawn breaks?" "You get dirty fingers".

But we do have Morning Fresh and, I agree, that should be the first thing you do - wash it well. Also my recommendation to customers when they ask how to maintain their new paint.

If it looks like it's been polished or anywhere neara detailer then I Prepsol, once, twice, thrice. Really don't want that silicone getting into the repair once you start sanding. I use the spray on, wipe off method. Better than the two rags.

After repair is done I Prepsol again and wash again, drying off with a clean towel. Blow dry if necessary, then mask up. Final step before paint is alcohol and water mix, sprayed on, wiped off. This gets any last contaminants. Tack, blow and go.

Seems a lot more than many of you guys do, but I used to do a lot of dealer work and every car would come in freshly slimed.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:31 pm
Why is the recommendation always Dawn and not any other dish soap? My wife buys Palmolive.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:12 pm
I'm sure the others are good too.
I use to use "Joy", works just as good.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:37 pm
I finally got where I can start on this I ordered the primer/sealer last week,
the old primer turned out to be gray on the original hood so I went with the
gray. This weekend I plan to set up my spray area and try to get the parts prepped
and sealer applied. Hopefully then painted soon thereafter if possible. I will post some
pics once started.

Dave

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 pm
IMG_20220925_121628538.jpg
I got everything ready on Saturday Morning and got ready to start spraying sealer after
using the scuff paste and red pads like JC suggested worked great by the way then cleaned everything with Dawn soap. And of coarse it started raining out and I was afraid that would affect my sealer so I decided to wait so then this afternoon I was about to start and my pup ran into the spray booth and scuffed the hood and got it dirty. I thought it scratched to primer at first but a little scuff paste and red scotch brite followed by Dawn fixed it right up. So then I shot the sealer and it was going down smooth waited about 20 minutes and shot the 2nd coat and everything went good until I started on the hood the 2nd round and I made a rookie mistake I forgot to tape my cup and tilted it to far and splat I have a couple big drips on the hood and one run on the side. It says 6 hours before sanding. Can I sand those smooth and reshoot the areas or do I need to recoat the whole hood after I sand and wash the areas? Also the gray sealer is just a touch lighter than the factory gray primer it was more smokey gray than light gray. Is that an issue or is there something the paint guy can sell me to darken it up a bit? thanks guys more to come

Dave

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:35 am
arkansasdave wrote:Can I sand those smooth and reshoot the areas or do I need to recoat the whole hood after I sand and wash the areas?

Basecoat doesn't sand very well, but you have no choice. Just watch the edges where it can be a bit plasticky and not feather very well when it's fresh. You will need to scuff the rest of the panel and extend another coat or two over what's there now, all the way to the edge. The basecoat will bond to itself quite well after light scuffing but your clear won't bond to the basecoat that you applied earlier if the time is outside the recoat window.

I don't really like to use water on basecoat. If I have something that needs to be fixed I sand dry, blow off really well and then tack cloth thoroughly.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:38 pm
It was primer sealer I sprayed Yesterday I was just curious if I can sand the sealer without messing it up then recoat.

thanks
Dave
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint