Summit Branded paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:21 pm
Hi Guys,

Anyone ever use any of Summit's SS paint? Thinking of trying a qt of theirs on a real low budget job. I know you get what you pay for but is it that bad?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:13 pm
Budget paints are a false economy.

For a start you need 50-100% more because the coverage is usually so bad. So, the real price is maybe double what you think it is. Then you have compatibility issues with other products you're using. Warranty is non-existent and performance may be less than you were expecting.

Don't get caught in the "low budget" trap. The customer will still expect perfection and will complain long and loud when the job, or the product, doesn't meet his expectations, which he'll never tell you about - "Don't worry too much - it's just a daily".

Quote and charge the customer the right price, using quality products. You'll get more respect and grow your business on a much more solid reputation than the one you'll get for doing cheap and nasty jobs.

You'll also get better service, and maybe pricing, from your supplier when they see and understand that you are a loyal customer.

Don't forget you have to buy their activator as well and that's probably more than you need, so wasted because you can't use it on something else. But if you were using just one paint system you'd probably already have the activator.

A quart? That's about a litre. Activated, say 1.5l. That's a lot of paint, even 2K. What's this job?
Chris

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:33 pm
My brother in law used to work at summit and at that time their paint was made by martin senour. That was about 10 years or so ago.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:11 pm
I'm with Chris on this one.

Tried some low budget paint (Omni and Shopline) while painting the side of a bus. I hated everything about it, how it sprayed, the terrible coverage, etc.

That's when I moved to RM Diamont and realized the difference in quality immediately. It's what I sprayed my signature car with.

After experimenting with Wanda, ProSpray and a couple of others that were more in the moderately priced range, the guy I was buying the ProSpray from suggested I try Automotive Art's Motobase LV. After spraying one vehicle with it, I was very impressed and have stuck with it sense. It's what I used on the '69 Chevy C-10, the 2000 Dodge Dakota, '55 Chevy, '79 Freightliner and the QQ1 Bright Blue Metallic for my 1968 Plymouth GTX is sitting in the cabinet waiting on me.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:05 pm
NFT5 wrote:Budget paints are a false economy.

For a start you need 50-100% more because the coverage is usually so bad. So, the real price is maybe double what you think it is. Then you have compatibility issues with other products you're using. Warranty is non-existent and performance may be less than you were expecting.

Don't get caught in the "low budget" trap. The customer will still expect perfection and will complain long and loud when the job, or the product, doesn't meet his expectations, which he'll never tell you about - "Don't worry too much - it's just a daily".

Quote and charge the customer the right price, using quality products. You'll get more respect and grow your business on a much more solid reputation than the one you'll get for doing cheap and nasty jobs.

You'll also get better service, and maybe pricing, from your supplier when they see and understand that you are a loyal customer.

Don't forget you have to buy their activator as well and that's probably more than you need, so wasted because you can't use it on something else. But if you were using just one paint system you'd probably already have the activator.

A quart? That's about a litre. Activated, say 1.5l. That's a lot of paint, even 2K. What's this job?
All great info and the more I think about it, going the cheap route might not be that way in the end. I do buy everything from my local guy but for some reason, his pricing on satins/semi gloss is crazy high. I was just thinking that when I do order from Summit for other stuff , I might try their paint. Right now I have a tank and fenders to shoot whenever he is ready--no real timeframe. I do see the point that cheap paint will not cover as well and the end result will not be as nice. I think you guys have convinced me to stick with my local guy and pay a bit more and do the best job my skill set will allow.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:43 am
I order all my paint supplies online. The locals are ridiculously high because they sell to most of the car dealers in town.

Get a quote for some decent paint from your local guy and then contact Chad's Autopaint and get a quote for Motobase LV or their Single Stage to compare. Tell them you want the price to include shipping.

They can quote you by the quart or gallon and most times it gets to me from Michigan to Arizona in about 3 days. They sell clear and primers as well.

chad sperry <[email protected]>
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:42 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I'm with Chris on this one.

Tried some low budget paint (Omni and Shopline) while painting the side of a bus. I hated everything about it, how it sprayed, the terrible coverage, etc...

Plus one on the Omni, when I first started I was buying Omni as that is what my local jobber had in the "economy" line. The Omni plus a rookie using a cheap gun did add up to problems.

Not that I still don't consider myself a weekender rookie hack but changing to a good gun and good products either PPG Envirobase, HOK products or Tamco products depending on what I am doing has helped immensely.

Prices have certainly gone up though. Some of the online custom colors that I like to use have gone up to $145/qt from $75/qt since 8/31/2021, just right at one year ago. That hurts! The Envirobase that I buy locally has gone up from around $150/qt to $200/qt in that same time frame.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Return to Body and Paint