Help Needed: Car Chip and Repair Advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:36 pm
Hey, I noticed a chip on the passenger side door. Do you know any quick fixes to stop the rust from spreading? I really don't want to end up redoing the whole door panel 'cause that would be a total nightmare. Plus, I'm kinda tight on cash right now.
Attachments
IMG_0664.jpeg

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:49 pm
Sandycar wrote:Hey, I noticed a chip on the passenger side door. Do you know any quick fixes to stop the rust from spreading? I really don't want to end up redoing the whole door panel 'cause that would be a total nightmare. Plus, I'm kinda tight on cash right now.
From my experience, you need to get all the rust out or it will just come back and, it will go further than you think it will--think of an iceberg, LOL.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:05 pm
I wouldn't worry about that tiny little bit of surface rust, but if you really want to, use the corner of a small piece of sandpaper to clean it up. Remember, the first rule of touching up paint chips is to NOT make the damage any bigger than it already is, so don't scratch beyond the edge of the chip.

Go to your local auto parts store and buy a little bottle of touch up paint - 10-15ml, with a brush in the cap. The paint code for your car will be on a plate attached to the car, usually on the "B" pillar but sometimes under the bonnet, on the "A" pillar or even in the spare wheel well. Depends on the brand of car. Buy the matching touch up paint and the smallest container of acrylic (sometimes called lacquer) thinner that you can get. Buy the best quality thinner if you have a choice, the cheaper stuff doesn't dry glossy.

When you're ready to do the job stick the bottle of touch up paint in your pants pocket for 10 minutes or so to warm it up. Then shake it until the metallic flake in the bottom has completely mixed in. You'll hear the mixing balls rattling around inside.

Then mix a few drops of paint with an equal amount of thinner in a tiny container, something the size of a thimble. Mix it up and touch it on to the damaged area, being careful not to get paint outside of the chip. May take 2 or 3 coats.

For more information on touching up, have a look through some of my previous posts here.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint