A favor gone bad...How waterproof is epoxy primer?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:30 pm
For what it's worth, I ran into a situation very similar to this. I used ********** epoxy and when I called to asked them if it was "waterproof", Barry, the owner of the company told me..."YES, and as a matter of fact I have had one of my own projects sitting in epoxy 14 months now". For the manufacturer to not only tell me for sure that the epoxy would lock out moisture but also have his own cars sitting in the stuff was enough reassurance for me.

One the other hand, I called SW and asked them about thier epoxy and they said they wouldn't promise anything after 1 month of not being top coated.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:51 pm
alexflacco wrote:I an not sure that the paint company will tell you not to worry. As far as I know all epoxy's are made as a primer, and primers are designed to be top coated. I am not saying that they would have to be on an area that will not be exposed to sun light, just that primer is primer and not paint.

I agree with your thoughts but I also think epoxy primer is in a catagory all its own. Called a "primer" because it does an excellent job as a basecoat for adhesion, corrosion resistance, and sealing. It doesn't seem to be porous, it is not meant to be sanded, and it's chemical and solvent resistant. As long as it's protected from the sun, as you mentioned, it seems to be optional as to whether it should be topcoated.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:20 pm
Robert LaPierre wrote:If I was ball$ to the wall on restore I would want to paint the frame...Probably Bc/Cc 8) But that's me personally :twisted:

He is a strange bird and definitely not a perfectionist. He is still going to rattlecan the underside of the car, all of the small items, and the interior even though I offered to paint everything for him. I was hoping to motivate him into using quality coatings since he is putting so much effort into this project but it seems to be a lost cause.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:55 am
I've had to deal with those types before. Sometimes I wonder if they just work on projects to keep busy and have something to do, rather than doing it right? I think you tried you best to steer him towards better products. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. ;) If he cares about his project and read the posts on this forum, he would probably change his attitude.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:53 am
olds4.0 wrote: The guy told him that epoxy primer was porous and not waterproof and the frame would need to be top coated.

That's a guy that doesn't know anything abut paint,
epoxy is the ONLY totally waterproof primer, that's it's main benefit.
And he's a restoration expert??
Maybe at engines, definetly not paint. 8)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 pm
The guy is a
+
There is no one right way to paint a car, but there are a whole lot of wrong ways

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:41 pm
Thanks CoolasIce. Thats what we all want to see :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dr. Auto Car Repairs http://www.doctorautorepair.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:48 pm
If he's so concerned, tell him to rattle can over the epoxy primer. It's not going to hurt anything
Previous

Return to Body and Paint