Wax & Grease remover - waterbourn vs. solvent

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 am
The guy at ********** who I bought the epoxy from told me I needed to use a waterbourn W/G remover on bare metal & not a solvent based one like DX330 which I have.

I'm still not sure exactly why, will the water base one remove dirt as well as w/g residue? does the solvent based one leave a residue & cause adhesion problems - I'm assuming not but any explanation would be helpful.

thx.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:55 pm
Yes EDP, the problem with solvent based W/G remover is that it dissolves and often just spreads any greases and oils. A good water-borne W/G remover will actually emulsify the greases and oils and then they don't stick to the surface well and can be easily wiped off. However, if the grease/oil is so thick you can literally see it on the panel you need to start with a solvent based W/G then finish up with the water-borne. With any Wax and grease wipe in one direction and then wipe dry with a clean lint free cloth or towel.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:00 pm
So what is this waterborne W&G remover?
A 1:1 mixture of alcohol and water? Or is it something companies like R-M or Dupont would sell?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 pm
Alcohol and water wouldn't be nearly as good as something formulated with emulsifying agents and co-solvents in water.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 pm
I used RM metal prep before first I believe its 809, than their water based solvent I use all the time is RM 909. Stuff is $$ for a gallon but worth it. If you want they also carry 901 which is like that alchol water mixture stuff its 901. very good for quick clean evaporation.
Just walk away....

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:19 am
both have their place. each one removes different things better than the other. the solvent types are good for an inital cleaning to actually remove grease, oil or anything like that. solvent cuts it much better however solvent types dont remove silicones, dirt, fingerprints, etc. well at all. this is where the water type come in. the ********** is a combination of water, alcohol, ammonia, acetone and a couple other things.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:21 am
I posted the same question on the ********** site & Barry responded with some good info. Their 700 product is surprisingly reasonable - $22/gal vs. the $38 for the DX330. Got my stuff yesterday so maybe I'll try it today.

Appreciate all the info, just wanted to know where each product had its place. According to Barry he uses it for everything.

Jim & all - would a double wipe be a good recommended practice always, 1st w/solvent then w/H2O base ?

Heres the ********** thread...
http://**********.forumup.org/about2798-**********.html

Thanks ,Evan

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 pm
Here is article on the subject, it's right here in the "Articles" link and explains if thoroughly. The part numbers may be out of date being I wrote it about five years ago.

http://www.autobody101.com/articles/art ... 20Cleaners

Brian
Free lance adviser

"Hitting the pavement at 100 mph really smarts"
Evel Knievel

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:41 pm
ed, absolutely. i will wipe with both alot of the time but really once your inital cleaning of the part is done in solvent you really dont need to use solvent anymore.

Return to Body and Paint