WANDA brand paint anybody use it ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:27 pm
Painting a whole (large) car, inside and out, I'd use about 6 litres of RTS base. Let's assume that you'd waste a bit, or want some for later, so be generous and say 8 litres.

If I used a premium base (in my Axalta system that's Centari 6000) 8 litres would cost near enough to $1000.

If I used the economy base (Centari 610) then 8 litres would cost around $560, but I'd need up to 40% more more because it needs 2.5 coats for coverage. So, about $784 for base.

The difference is, of course, $206. Both base coats qualify for full factory support but the 6000 is backed for a full lifetime warranty. The 6000 lays out better and much more evenly and coverage is, of course, exceptional. It also has almost zero flash time between coats.

On a project like this I'd be charging maybe $20K, or if you're doing it yourself at home then you've invested maybe hundreds of hours in repairs, panel work, priming, blocking and whatever other preparation.

The question I would ask is why, for the sake of $200, compromise on the quality of the overall job?

If it was my car that I was restoring I wouldn't think twice about driving for an hour to get the best possible paint that I could.

Of course, in the shop it's a different story. I can save many thousands of dollars a year by using the economy base, where possible, even with the higher labour cost from needing an extra coat and I keep this under control by using shaded primers.

As for the Wanda I haven't used it myself and what I've heard is mixed. I'd go with a premium product.
Chris
Previous

Return to Body and Paint