Removing tape lines?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:58 pm
paintpot wrote:
Missouripaintslinger wrote:1. if you hard line the primer you can always wet sand it back and feather edge it.
if you did that you would still see the line .When you sprayed it.The actual hard line eats in the paint.

PaintPot. If you featheredge the line no you will not. because featheredging it eliminates that line.

MPS
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:18 pm
if thats what you think.Every one to there own :bighug:
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm
Its what I know. Buy the plane ticket fly out here to missouri and i'll show you exactly how it works.
MissouriPaintSlinger

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 pm
I dont need to buy a ticket been spraying since 1979 cellulose two packs when they first came out .Got the tee shirt been there done it .Have a nice day.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:05 pm
now boys :wink: i'v read the o/p severl times and still don't know what the o/p's wanting to do. i'm a dumb a##! but why not just prime the area he needs to do. he can cover the rest out 6-8 in. or what ever and don't spray out to there. no tape line then he has to sand the primer anyway, just sand past the 6-8 in. area and put your top coat on blending it out to the 6-8 in. area. i allso think i would panel paint it even if it ment doing a large panel like maybe the roof. blending with s/s is tricky to get nice results. pictures would be nice.
did i make any sence here :rolleyes: :)
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:23 pm
badsix wrote:now boys :wink: i'v read the o/p severl times and still don't know what the o/p's wanting to do. i'm a dumb a##! but why not just prime the area he needs to do. he can cover the rest out 6-8 in. or what ever and don't spray out to there. no tape line then he has to sand the primer anyway, just sand past the 6-8 in. area and put your top coat on blending it out to the 6-8 in. area. i allso think i would panel paint it even if it ment doing a large panel like maybe the roof. blending with s/s is tricky to get nice results. pictures would be nice.
did i make any sence here :rolleyes: :)

Yeah, you made sense. I'm trying to avoid a panel repaint, these quarter panels are massive and fairly intricate. I was just trying to figure out how to avoid having to do so much primer blending with wetsanding.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm
why do professional sprayer never spray primer up to the tape line.Because you will have a hard edge.WHY do you think we dont want that to happen.Even if you feather edge the primer edge.Based and clear coated the panel.Catch it in the sun light and you will see a faint line.Why are we avoiding a hard edge :?:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm
yeah, i know what your getting at. if you don't mind post a couple of pictures :) sometimes you can back tape on a body line its not professional but it will work ressonably well with your s/s
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:18 pm
Well, I guess mabey what I'm doing is beyond someones skill level? IDK....... But I've done it for years upon years. i can knock a hard line down and you won't ever be able to tell the darn thing was ever painted. I guess i qualify as a "professional painter" well depends... idk if a pro would consist of someone who can't knock a hard line down in primer...... "sandable filler" if you can level primer on a hard line can u level filler?

PaintPot .... It's not worth my time, you obviously are convinced you are the one and only authority on such work and I'm not gonna keep logging in to check new posts if I am going to continuously get met with someone who doesn't either a. care to know how to do things or b. have the capacity to understand you may not be right. SOO my friend all do respect I'm done replying to you so don't bother from here out brother.

Back taping is very acceptable buddy! don't be afraid to do it! I agree if you can just spot primer the spots that need it and have a good place to do it or mask the whole car up to aviod overspray then just spot prime with out taping up the areas that are getting shot.
MissouriPaintSlinger

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 pm
Make sure you tape off far enough from the area being sprayed to avoid tape lines.I always do this and wet sand any of the area that doesn't need the material.The 3M yellow tape is the best value on the market today.Try it out and I think you will be impressed
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint