Clear coat for Polycarbonate

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:41 am
I need to replace the clear coat on polycarbonate headlights, is there a specific type of paint or preparation method for this material.

Thanks for the help
[color=#FF0000][b]~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ [/b][/color]

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:05 pm
IF the clear coat is all of ,i would of thought you could just re clear coat it.What ever the manufacturers put on did not work .
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:15 pm
Polycarbonate headlights dont have any (So called) clear on them from the factory..............

I have painted rear tail lights before with just clear, and have had no problems.
Sanded them with 400, used Sherwin Williams clear "Plastic Adhesion Promoter" and then cleared. That was two years ago on my truck. They still look brand new................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:35 pm
... used Sherwin Williams clear "Plastic Adhesion Promoter" and then cleared. That was two years ago on my truck. They still look brand new................

That's what Barry from ********** said in another forum - adhesion promoter, then clear.
I cleaned the headlights on my Windstar using 600-2500 wet, then buffed with toothpaste on a buffing wheel for drills. (I was too lazy to go 3 blocks to buy the real stuff.) They looked like new. I had some rattlecan adhesion promoter, sprayed it on, then cleared, and they still look great over a year later.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Once you sand it with 600,,,you dont have to buff it, Just spray the adhesion promoter, then clear...................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:56 pm
I'll have to try that next time. The clear will take the cloudiness out of the 600 scratches?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:55 am
,,,like magic!

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 am
Thanks. That saves a lot of work.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:56 am
I’d like to resurrect this thread to ask about coating Corvette Lexan targa clear plastic roofs. Lexan seems to be polycarbonate. People seem to do it successfully by removing the factory abrasive resistant coating, then as a last stage take them to 600-800 and clear coat them.

I asked my local body shop to clear coat mine today but he was worried his 2k clear coat might react with the material. From what I’ve just been reading acrylic plastics are safer to paint than polycarbonates so now I’m confused.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:02 am
I'd just do a small test. Put a few drops of clear on and see what it does...... When we work in-shop here with woods, metals, plastics, etc., and we have any questions about compatibility we always try a small spot somewhere.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Next

Return to Body and Paint