OK let's hear your best tips and your favorite tricks

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:39 pm
Wax & Grease remover works great for cleaning make-up brushes.
Put some in a small spray bottle and give it to your lady and let
her try it for cleaning her make-up brushes-it's amazing.

Also, it works great in the kitchen for cleaning greasy areas.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:35 pm
If you have ever heard of the trick to remove runs with body filler.
You can also do this with tape so you can get the run out and not risk burning through clear coat on the sides near the clear.

Just put tape over the area of the run and begin sanding it. The sand paper will cut into the tape where the run is first and keep sanding the run out without touching the rest of the panel because the tape is covering it.
After you start sanding the sourrounding tape off, you can remove it and sand everything flat.

I'll edit this post with more tips I have come up with.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:40 am
when cleaning a panel you should use BOTH a wax&grease remover and also a water borne cleaner. wax&grease remover does NOT remove dirt
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:31 pm
BlackBowtie wrote:When cutting and buffing on completes, I like to leave the vehicle masked off until I'm done buffing.

This is gold. Getting all the buffing compound spots off the wiper tray for example can take hours!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:05 pm
PainterDave wrote:when cleaning a panel you should use BOTH a wax&grease remover and also a water borne cleaner. wax&grease remover does NOT remove dirt

Hey Dave (or anyone else), Total rookie question here, but could you give me a couple of examples of the waterborne cleaner that you are talking about?

Thanks!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:04 pm
"Waterbourne Cleaner" Is a gimmick... If what you are using to clean a panel works for your solvent paint its gonna work for waterbourne... But to actually answer your question ppg makes a waterbourne cleaner called h2o-so-clean #swx350 but ill tell you right now mix 90% isopropyl alcohol and water about a 50/50 ratio and you get the same stuff...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am
OldFatBald wrote:
PainterDave wrote:when cleaning a panel you should use BOTH a wax&grease remover and also a water borne cleaner. wax&grease remover does NOT remove dirt

Hey Dave (or anyone else), Total rookie question here, but could you give me a couple of examples of the waterborne cleaner that you are talking about?

Thanks!

Valspar 170 Aqua Clean,

its not a gimmick...

you have solvent borne stuff on panel like... road grime, tar, etc (water will not take these off) thats why you use wax and grease.

you also have water borne things on panel like... dirt, bugs, etc (solvent wax and grease will not remove these things)

so it is good to use a waterbased cleaner and a wax and grease
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:55 pm
Its a little late for this discussion, but there is a simple test that will prove this. Just use the solvent grease and wax remover until the surface is as clean as you want it, then use a clean white cloth with waterborne cleaner and see how much it pulls off the surface.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:33 am
Generally I wash the entire car with Dawn dish soap and water prior to anything else. A good scrubbing with a maroon Scotchbrite pad and then rinse well.
After that, if the vehicle is kept inside, W&G remover should be all that is necessary.

I have both solvent and waterborne cleaners but rarely use the waterborne. Maybe I should start as a prep before painting just to be safe.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:42 pm
That's cheating, you already cleaned with Dawn and scotch bright, so there won't be anything on there after sitting inside except dust. You don't qualify for my test. :rotfl:
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint