newbie motorcycle paint job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 pm
Ok so I am in the process of rebuilding a motorcycle from the ground up and I want to give it a nice custom paint job while I am at it, trouble is that different components require different types of paint and I am not sure what to do exactly. I doubt I will do another paint job anytime soon so I am trying to keep the costs down too, to that end I found a pretty inexpensive spray gun and tankless air compressor combo on amazon for pretty cheap, now I need to figure out the paints I need and precautions I need to make.

So lets break down the components that need to be painted.

-exhaust headers satin black (I will probably just do this using high heat ceramic spray paint cans for this)
-engine block and various covers satin black (will need to be high temp but not as high as the exhaust)
-frame, swing arm, lower forks, and wheels satin black (will need to be very strong to prevent chips)
-tank and plastic fairings satin ghost pearl/iridescent white (needs to be gasoline resistant)

I will be painting this inside a garage so I need to get some exhaust fans to get the fumes out and some drop cloths to protect the surroundings.

I need to know what types of paint and clear coats I need and corresponding safety equipment... suggestions? :neutral:

Return to Body and Paint