Can I spray spraymax 2k over my powder coated bike frame?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:23 am
I'm painting and clear coating my side mirrors for my car with Spraymax 2k. At the same time I'm in the middle of a project of building a bike with a Specialized epic frame. Since I only have a short window to use the clear after I add the hardener I would like to use the $31 rattle can on more than just my side mirrors. The bike frame is powder coated and is not very glossy. I got a brand new glossy front fork and new glossy carbon fiber handlebars. This makes the bike look a little off to me. From the research I could gather if I scuff up the powder coat first and prep it correctly the clear should go on and stick to the powder coat. Problem is the decals. I don't want to destroy the decals while trying to scuff up the powder coat. Is there any way I can just clean this bike really good and spray it or will the clear be destined to fail with scuffing the entire surface? Can I scuff the frame really good and just lightly scuff the decals? Or just I just use the bike as is?

I know this is a bike and not a car but I wanted to get info from the car guys who know about proper paint procedures. I've asked the bike guys in a couple of forums and the bike guys don't seem to really know too much about the subject.

Link to picture of bike: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-I0kC0Q9zDWMWVud19BU3ZMdFRKQUdYenJldTJ3TXMwS3I0/view?usp=sharing

Return to Body and Paint