High Temp Rating, and Fuel Resistant...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:25 am
So, have been practicing with Grandpa's old Badger air brush for the sole purpose of touching up the satin black engine and fins on my 1994 Harley Dyna.

I am looking to improve the overall look of the tired 21 year old satin black powder coat (I assume powder coat) on the engine block and cooling fins. The rest of the bike is pristine so I want to improve the old faded finish of the engine paint.

As far as a match, I have found rustoleum high heat black to be a very close match. My concern is it's fuel and oil resistance. I know a 2 stage is fuel resistant, but the heat is an issue. We are talking cylinder, cylinder heads, and block.

I thought about adding an enamel hardener in hopes of getting some fuel resistance, so I have done up a few test panels with the rustoleum/enamel hardener mix and it is drying/curing as we speak. The air brush seems to be the perfect tool to use for this project. Especially in tight quarters (engine still in frame) and for really tight narrow openings around the engine and in between the cooling fins, and it allow me to easily "blend" old with the new. Just need to let things cure out before testing its fuel resistance.

Before I invest anymore time in using this product, I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a 2 stage (or single) FUEL RESISTANT HIGH HEAT satin or flat black engine enamel. I have found many sources for enamels that fit the description, but again worry about the fuel and oil lifting the paint. Thanks, KD

Return to Body and Paint